Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding trick for your toads-THIS REALLY WORKS!

C

crystal

Im not sure if it will work on any other kind of toad but the Oriental FBT but it may.
ALot of people have problems feeding there toads for there tank is mostly water and all the food is getting drowned.Well with this trick,you can put as much water in ur tank as you want!And you will NEVER get dead crickets,floats ect!
This is really simple.

Hand feeding.All toads do it,I had ALOT of toads in my life,and they take food from my hand with ease!Even babys!
First,you should take your toads out onto a table or something.Put a cricket (or whatever your feeding them)in front of them and they will just eat it.(note:Crickets run super fast,so you may need to hold it above there heads or put the toad in a container and when the cricket runs away,it cant get out.)This really works-try it! And you also know that they are getting enough food because you can feed ur toad(s)until there full! When they are full,they'll just try to hop off the table.

This really works. If you try this when you first get a toad,it wont work because the toad will be very scared at first. Atleast wait a week of having a toad before trying this!

W

william

Yea I also did that when i had fbts and like you said it does work, but you could just add more land its a lot easier.

joe

Reaction score
yup mine eat from my hands. too. Gotta get your frog used to it though. the first couple of times they will be scared.

M

michelle

i have small little babies that i feed with tweezers and dangle food infront of their faces, most of then have moved off bloodworms and onto mealworms, they not enjoy catching wriggly things haha

A

ajfr0ggy

I hand feed my young and adult firebellies, nearly all accept it (ive got 2 little awkward ones though)
Defrosted bloodworm, defrosted bryne shrimp, and newly moulted mealworms seems to work for me. I feed them in their vivarium, on land or water. Sometimes they spread the bloodworm around a bit though.
The other way, to at least reduce the ammount of of drowning, is to use livefood with slightly more appreciation of water! flies seem good, from fruit flies to bluebottles.

(Message edited by ajfr0ggy on March 24, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1