Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding waxworms

M

matt

Are waxworms those skiny white worms? because if they are I saw someone at a fish shop put them in this thing at the top and the worms stuck out of it so the fish could just eat some, I think its called a fish feeder

K

kai

Nah, they are caterpillars of two small moth species which live in some hymenopteran colonies.

The common recipe:
500 g glycerol
500 g honey
200 g yeast (dry, either variety)
200 g milk powder
500 g rolled oats
1500 g wheat bran

I'm using a variant:
approx. 2000 g oat bran replace the last two ingredients above
and, if at hand, I add some pollen, too.

Be careful that neither moths nor caterpillars escape - they can damage your (spouses
sad.gif
) clothes (but they don't reproduce).

Best wishes,
kai

M

matt

what you feed them all that stuff I thought axys were carnivores

M

matt

Oh ok but how could you feed them with all that stuff? do you just roll them in it?

M

matt

What do you mean ??? it sounded like you knew does any one alse know how to feed them with all that stuff
oh and how do you make those faces?

J

john

About the faces, just type a : and a ) beside each other for an ordinary smiley. It's all explained in the formatting part of the documentation (see the menu bar on the left).

A

andy

hey matt I've never come across waxworms in oz.....think thats coz they are the larval stage of the wax moth a pest of all beekeepers and I think oz is free of it or something like that....the only livefoods in oz are crickets $6 -$8 for 2 dozen, mealworms $6 per 1000 or woodies(native cochroaches) $6 - $8 fpr 2 dozen.......needless to say if you know otherwise please let me know so I can get a hold of some Ü

K

kai

Well, it's not exactly rocket science: you pull the cultured critters out of their food mix (as given above) and just feed the caterpillars or moths to the newts, duh...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1