Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female and male - second batch of eggs in 2 months! Should I separate them?

Marketkahluscova

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was just hoping to get a bit of advice. I have two axolotls in a big tank together - male and female. They have been together since they were just few weeks old- no signs of agression its all love here. Unfortunately I feel like it might be too much of love. We had our first batch of eggs by the end of April - I know how to deal with eggs and still have few babies in a baby tank. But now the happy couple decided to lay another batch... As I said I'm okay with eggs and raising the little ones but my worry is- It has only been a couple of months and I feel like if this will be an ongoing theme it will really be hard on my girl and her body. On the other hand I don't really want to separate them as they are together for very long time. Does anyone please have any advice on what would be the best solution for this?
I do have another tank with another same size male but he was always alone and I'm not sure how would the introductions with the other male would go if I would have to separate the couple. Any advice welcomed! Thanks.

wolfen

Reaction score
as it stands at the moment the best course of action to take would be to separate them, continual breeding is likely to cause stress with your female and likely to make her ill.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1