Field Herping in Michigan?

Scorpion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alexander
Is there anyone from Michigan who could give me some advice about field herping here? I've never gone field herping before, and I've only ever seen one salamander in the wild. It was a blue spotted salamander under a log up at my grandma's cabin. Anyway, what would I bring? Where would I look? And what kinds of salamanders/newts/water dogs/mudpuppies/etc. would I be looking for?

Wolferic

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well i herp Quite a bit and It gets a little easier when you know the species for which your herping.. Like frogs and Turtles for example you can try looking for ponds or water ways or bogs.. ditches. With Salamanders.. Depending on the Salamander your search for it could vary... Though the later the Summer the harder to find certain mole Salamanders.. LIke your Yellow spotted or Blue or Even tiger.. Try logs.. a nice moist area is good.. Also something with Vernal pools around makes for a good spot to find Salamanders. Though Doesn't mean you will find one.. I find it easier after a nice rain.. or the next day.. Though in your state you have the Eastern Tiger Salamander.. Yellow spotted salamander, Blues potted Salamander, Red back salamander,Four toed salamander,Small mouth Salamander.Marbled Salamander,eastern newt..(also watch for them in the eft stage) and Mud Puppy..(aquatic) .. AM i missing any?LOL.. so this time of year The Left over Egg masses might be your clue to vernal pools.. Look for Greenish type masses.. or clear gelitin masses in the water to indicate the type of salamanders. Anyhow Under Logs or under debris in the forest and sometimes in Logs.. You may find those tricky little mole salamanders. Redback can be found in leaf piles or under logs in around moist forest.. I find in the really thick forest near small streams is a good place to find Red efts.. SLow moving streams that is.. Anyhow Hope this helps:>

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Herping during this time of year you'll need to be ready for a lot of things. All the bugs that bite are coming out so be ready for mosquitos! There has been constant rain and mud puddles are everywhere and wet forest floors should be at their prime. Knee high rubber boots or thigh high boots work prefect for me. I always take a backpack loaded with essentials as well. My herp backpack usually has a headlight, flashlight, dip net, extra clothes, water/food, and anything else I might need to survive.

What to look for! You'll be able to find all sorts of ambystomid larvae in vernal ponds. Right now the Ambystoma larvae are at a advanced stage. You might be able to tell what species they are by now. You can find adults under bark or logs. If you go to the right places you can find Eastern Newts. I consider Eastern Newts and Tiger Salamanders good finds. Green frogs, Leopard frogs, Bull frogs, and toads should be out. A couple species of snakes are easy to find but you shouldn't handle anything that looks like its going to bite. Most likely you won't find mud puppies they're really out of season.

GOOD LUCK!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let us know what you find out there! I will be going out soon as well hope we find all kinds of herps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
    Naxuzi: Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate... +2