Filter fire belly

23matt3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two fire bellys in a tank along with a few fish. I'm trying to make a community tank, How do I do this without using a filter? I have a 20 gallon tank and have an underwater filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth is right, don't do it if you want the best for your newts and fish. Stress, different temperatures, toxins that newts produce, accidents when a newt wants to eat a fish or vice versa. I've got my newts from community tanks and while they look excact the same (so I couldn't tell if they are happier or not...) they've never tried to escape here and stay mostly in the water. And dance, party and lay eggs so much I'm in trouble ;)

I just ordered a sponge filter. Do these work well with fire bellys? I have to have something for the time being.

I have sponge filter in one tank and other without any filter, just a lot plants. Sponge filter is better than internal since it doesn't create vibration in the water (if you listen with your ear on the glass a tank where's an intern filter, you can hear and feel quite a heavy noise). Still it's important to point the water flow so that it doesn't bother your newts.

Okay I ordered a sponge filter, I needed something because the water was looking nasty and I change the water weekly and still was looking bad. Also all my water levels are perfect so idk, I just had to have something filters all the nasty water in it

I have a 20 gallon high tank that doesn't fill to the top, about two quarters full because I have a log that the newts sit on. So I bought a 20 gallon sponge filter

Is there something (for ex. wood) in the tank that could color/spoil the water in a week, or maybe food? Weekly water changes and plants should do it if it's cycled. Is the temperature right (I got some algae now when we finally had a hot season and I missed some appropriate cleaning) or is there too strong light that gets algae wild (if you don't have enough plants that could use the nutrients in water, algae will and they enjoy lights, too...). If you get mess on the bottom, a battery working siphon could help you with it and you could do it once a week extra (I mean like if you clean and change water on Saturdays, you could just hoover quickly on Wednesdays...).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back