Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Help

art_iz_d3ad

Reaction score
Hi! I have just bought a new 60L tank for my Axyie. Its a Hailea K60 and came with its own internal filter. The output was way to high and I baffled it with a bottle.
Her old filter is just a basic HOB.
Now, after furthur research I dont think I like the internal filter 😅 It's still too strong, It takes up so much space and I really dont like the risk of the electrical cord being inside the tank.
I wanted to get just another larger HOB, as I've read that the chemical filtration is needed? BUT! I only just realised the Hailea K60 Lid only has two cubes on either side to insert a cord or tube through and that I would'nt be able to use a HOB unless the lid was off 🤦‍♀️ and I need it on as I have a cat 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
So! I really just need some advice, I'm open to sponge filters and would love some recommendations, I was thinking one of those two cannister looking ones that suction onto the wall so it doesnt take up her floor space- But is a sponge fiter enough filtration for her? Thank you!

MnGuy

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the brand of tank you have (post a picture if you can), but can you just remove the lid and replace it with a glass top and new strip light?

Are you able to cut out the internal filter compartment? I know people do on those small tanks that have them. In those small tanks, the internal filter compartments are just plastic containers that are siliconed into the back of a glass tank. I'm not sure if it would be the same for larger tanks, or, whether it would be easy to remove one from a larger tank.

Here's a YouTube video of someone removing it from a small tank:

Good luck.

art_iz_d3ad

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200425-093012_Chrome.jpg

Heres the aquarium and the internal filter just clips onto the side wall but the electrical cord threds through a small opening of the lid. Theres a small opening on each side so I could thred the tube of a sponge filter threw but I really want the extra filtration of a HOB, I might actually have to get someone to cut an opening into the plastic lid if thats even possible...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1