Filter question and glue question

G

grant

Ok well I've use fluval filters in all of my tanks and I have one in my axie tank. I don't like the current that it makes (no axies are in it at the moment though) but what I did to cut back the flow was I put a spongy piece of an extra filter cartridge in the end that spits out the water. Now the flow is down to practically nothing, but what I was wondering is the filter doing any good right now the tank doesnt seem to be getting that dirty and will this bother the filters motor do you think? And my other question is what type of glue do you guys use to put stuff on pipes and stuff to decorate like hot glue guns or what? And do you just use regular pvc pipe?

Are fluvals internal - can you attach a long spray bar and point the holes back to the wall of the tank? Works for me.

With the glue, I think (but not sure) that silicone is best thing to use - non toxic, but needs to cure for a few days before going in the tank.

Yea they are internal but I put the part that spits out water above the water so I could put that spongey thing in. But how do I do the spray bar? I'd like to try that if possible.

Yeah how can i get a spray bar? Thanks

Hell, I don't know
smile6.gif
. Mine (not fluval) came with a spray bar - it's basically poly pipe with holes evenly spaced along one side. There is a u-shaped connecter bit that attaches to the outlet direct from the filter unit cover and elevates the bar out of the water. I'm not a plumber or a handygirl so I can't give you any clues as to how to make one. Good luck.

(Message edited by waltona on June 24, 2005)

Go to the hardware store, and buy tubing for a refrigerator with water-in-the-door dispenser. Then take it home, and trill a bunch of little holes in it. Suspend one end on one side of the tank, and the other end attaches to your filter (if possible, make it attach some way that it's removable, to make filter cleaning easier).

I get what your saying Joan. Thanks. Probably can't make one till I get paid next week though lol I'm so poor. lol.

My spray bar is on a Fluval internal (the 2 plus). I built it out of a piece of rigid aquarium tubing (bought at my LFS for about $2), with a hole drilled every inch along it's length, and the end plugged with some aquarium epoxy (called HoldFast). It attatches to the pump via a piece of large flexible aquarium tubing (the next size up form what I used for the bar itself). They gave me the flexible stuff for free, because I only needed an inch and I asked nicely. It also needed a suction cup and hook to support the other end. I had one lying around, but you can but them for about $2-$3. Total cost: $5 max. The cost of the one made by fluval to use with that filter was $12.

I got some rubber tubing and a plastic end cap from my work today all for 56 cents lol. I'm cleaning off all the stuff really good before I put it in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back