Question: Filter questions. Pleas read/help! :)

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Sooo.

Ok, so, I bought some cartridges for my filter. But I got to thinking.....and then got to worrying. So I already changed the old ones with the new ones. But I was wondering since the bacteria grows on the cartridges/sponge part, when you removed it and put new ones in, wouldn't it cause the bacteria level(s) to drop? And isn't that bad? I heard some where that you should only take one out at a time, is this true? I didn't think of that when I did the change, so it 2 new ones in there right now.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks! -Seth

Hi Seth. I would not worry about it too much. If your tank is fairly well established there should not be a problem.

How long has the tank been up and running? Once a tank is established (2+ months), the good bacteria are growing on all surfaces in the tank, not just in the filter. Changing the whole filter at that point should be no problem. Just be sure not to clean off all the interior surfaces/ornaments at the same time you change all the filtration media.

Well if thats your filter then i see that there is the ceramic beads in there. which you never change or clean or really anything. i dont even run carbon on my tanks. I just rinse the sponge in the filter every now and then and keep up on water changes.

I also do not run carbon in my filters. Its the only media you really ever need to change. I replace the carbon with cut up sponge.
I also never replace the sponge or ceramic. If it gets really dirty as there is no chemical filtration I will just take it out of my filter during a water change and swish it around the bucket of tank water. It hasnt failed me yet but carbon definately has! I had carbon maybe two months tops and I gave up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back