Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Recommendations?

rustiscool

Reaction score
So I've been through three filters now... the first two were HOB filters. I suspected they stopped working because I use sand in my tank, and even after cleaning the sand out of the mechanics they still stopped working fairly quickly.

The third filter that was a sponge filter that I got recently. My main problem was that I couldn't even really tell if it was working (it was bubbling but I couldn't tell if it was sucking stuff up). And now the bubbler it was connected to suddenly stopped working.

I could just get a new bubbler, but I'm awfully tired of going through filters and I wasn't two pleased with the sponge one anyway. Can you guys recommend a really good filter that will work for a 20 gallon tank with sand substrate, AND will last for a long time? I've heard good things about canister filters, is there one with a gentle enough flow for a 20 gallon?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
So I've been through three filters now... the first two were HOB filters. I suspected they stopped working because I use sand in my tank, and even after cleaning the sand out of the mechanics they still stopped working fairly quickly.

The third filter that was a sponge filter that I got recently. My main problem was that I couldn't even really tell if it was working (it was bubbling but I couldn't tell if it was sucking stuff up). And now the bubbler it was connected to suddenly stopped working.

I could just get a new bubbler, but I'm awfully tired of going through filters and I wasn't two pleased with the sponge one anyway. Can you guys recommend a really good filter that will work for a 20 gallon tank with sand substrate, AND will last for a long time? I've heard good things about canister filters, is there one with a gentle enough flow for a 20 gallon?
i highly recommend sponge filters, it may seem like they’re not sucking things up but i promise you they are - the water is like black when i rinse them out. i’d just get a new pump. i also have a sand substrate and HOB filters failed me as well

WaterLily05

Reaction score
What if you got an AquaClear hang on back (they are well known for their durability and long lastingness) and put an intake sponge over it? Fluval Edge intake sponges perfectly fit AquaClear intakes. This is how I have my tanks set up and it is working well. My 20 long axolotl tank has an aquaclear 50 and the flow is not too strong at all. What brand filters did you try in the past?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1