Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter upgrades

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
I'm putting my old axolotl filter (5 or 10 gallon filter, not sure) into my fish tank and getting a new 20 gallon sponge filter for my axolotl. My question is: how do I do this without losing all the good bacteria in the sponges?

side note: anyone know of some good fish (specifically goldfish) forums?

wolfen

Reaction score
I'm putting my old axolotl filter (5 or 10 gallon filter, not sure) into my fish tank and getting a new 20 gallon sponge filter for my axolotl. My question is: how do I do this without losing all the good bacteria in the sponges?

side note: anyone know of some good fish (specifically goldfish) forums?
having the new filter running in the tank for a while before removing the old one will allow the filter to establish itself, when you do remove the old filter put the new filter in a bucket of old tank water whilst running then squeeze/rinse the old filter into the water then squeeze/rinse the new filter then place back in the tank. also a good idea to get a bottle of bacteria to give it a boost, make sure the new filter is large enough for the tank, if it has two numbers ie.. 20 -50 go by the lower number, if it only has one number ie.. up to 60 then divide by three.
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Powered by vBulletin is a forum for aquatics both salt and freshwater, for goldfish specific forums just do a google search.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!