Filters, substrates, setups: please read before posting

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some links to basic info to get you started before you post.

Basics of housing axolotls:
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Photos of fully-aquatic setups (not all of these are suitable for axolotls):
Caudata Culture Articles - Setups, Aquatic

Filters
The most common types of filters used for axolotls are the hang-on-back waterfall filter, the canister filter, and sponge filters.
Basics of various types of filters:
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

Basics of substrates for aquatic setups (not all of these are suitable for axolotls):
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Vivarium building projects, including examples of glued-down substrates:
Caudata Culture Articles - Vivarium Building Projects

What rocks are safe?
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-substrate/71428-what-rocks-axolotl-safe.html

Information about algae, snails, worms, and other "critters" that show up in aquariums:
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Algae, Snails, Worms and Other Critters

Avoid using gravel, small stones, or marbles
Gravel, small stones and marbles pose a serious risk to axolotls, due to ingestion. Here are just a FEW of the many horror stories we have had on this forum to demonstrate this:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...um/70200-my-gold-axolotl-has-eaten-stone.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...4-how-can-you-sure-if-stone-impacted-not.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ble-swimming-no-appetite-odd-shaped-head.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-please-yet-another-stone-related-thread.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ssion-free-all/79208-she-pooped-rocks-dx.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...otl/82033-axolotl-swallowed-large-marble.html
Includes X-rays:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...sick-axolotl/70292-axolotl-bloated-belly.html
Includes X-rays:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be.../f58-sick-axolotl/68478-large-rock-belly.html

Last edited:

Ax0lotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is turtle or reptile sand okay? I searched for several hours in stores for sand with a silica base but couldn't find any I was sure about. Thank you.

evolveatrandom

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I find that Play Sand (sand you find in sandboxes) is very good. Don't need to wash them because they're already sterile, comes in an attractive light brown colour, and can be bought in bulk and cheaply in places like Rona.

Mgrimson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would there be any issue with using a large flat piece of filter foam (new) instead of substrate?

Aschneider8

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am new to Axolotls and set my tank up with a substrate that was advertised as sand, however I think it looks a bit coarse and wanted an opinion.:confused:
I also heavily planted the tank with live plants that they seem to love sitting in. Is there any negative aspects of doing this?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5758.jpg
    IMG_5758.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,172

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mia
Hi,
I too searched for silica based sand, I found some at Home Depot, it's the sand that they put in those smoke or cigarette things that sit outside, places, i.e. stores, offices buildings, and malls.
I have no clue if it is safe for axolotls or not.
But I did find it. The price wasn't bad.

Possum63

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Jess
Aragonite causes a high pH. And depending on the size of your lotl, it could be a little coarse. Aragonite is commonly used in cichlid set ups who like a pH of above 8. I've also heard it clouds for a while and can be problematic espesh with spazzy lotls. So, if your lotl is adult sized or close to and your prepared to closely monitor pH and probably lower it frequently you could try it.

I would recommend play sand though as it is cheap or I highly recommend fine sillica sand which I personally use. The white stuff is relatively cheap (Here in NZ we can actually get it just as cheap as play sand if not cheaper). Its super soft to the touch I have no problem with clouding and it settles real quick when my lotls go nuts.

nadinemccarthy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. I guess I'll be taking out the sand and putting in play sand. And start testing the water again.

Nancy Haggerty

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been considering getting some axolotyls. I currently have a bare bottom planted tank.I painted the bottom outside of the tank to create the look of old sand colored brick. I also have planted driftwood. The idea was to make the tank look like underwater ruins and be easy to clean waste from the tank. Do axolotyls require a substrate or will my bare bottom planted tank work for them too?

Attachments

• 20141030_193045.jpg
    20141030_193045.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 557

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Bare bottom is fine, but if the paint is on the inside of the tank and is not sealed correctly of at all it might harm or kill your axolotl. And if you put a axolotl in that tank with guppies the guppies will get eaten.

Nancy Haggerty

Reaction score
Country
United States
The paint is on the outside of the tank. The fish in the picture are HM female bettas ( not guppies)and already know that I can not keep them together.

Nancy Haggerty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most people are not familiar with female bettas, I like them cause you can have more than one in a tank and are just as colorful. You would probably recognize this more as a betta it is a male and has to be kept seperate or they fight.:happy: I just wanted to make sure that I am setting up a tank properly for axoltyls and this is the only tank that I have done at the moment.

Attachments

• 2014-10-06 10.39.45.png
    2014-10-06 10.39.45.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 375

Nancy Haggerty

Reaction score
Country
United States
My next question is the size the tank that I am considering using is an odd size 63 cm long or 24.5 inches - 50 cm wide or 20 inches - 26 cm high or 10.5 inches. It is actually a modified 20 gal high tank and was wondering how many axolotyls I could have in this tank? I would be using a canister filter with a spray bar and a homemade bubble wand for filtration and aeration. This has worked well for me with the bettas who also like a low water current.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • gemdimps:
    Hi 👋🏻 I am desperately seeking cycling advice
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewtPoot has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RCWaterPets has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Carly1502:
    Hi guys, I have a dwarf axolotl. Got him/her in February and since it’s grown to around 4.5 inches it has constantly been constipated. Having to fridge the poor thing every few weeks. Has anyone else got a dwarf and had these problems?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    my cousin has a dwarf, he thankfully doesn’t have such problems. good luck though :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Hey guys, one of my axolotls has developed some fungus on one of her gills, I've started salt baths, but do salt baths need to be done in the fridge, some people said I should have her in the fridge permanently during the process, even when not in the salt bath, is this true? As some people said its unnecessary as long as the tank is below 20°c which it is. Also do I need to get them both out the tank and clean it out?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nagato:
    Does anybody know where I can find Triturus karelinii?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: RobynB27 has joined the room. +1