Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finding A. talpoidium

Lamb

Reaction score
Heyo!

I have visited a known Ambystoma talpoidium breeding site, but have not had luck finding eggs or adults. I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I know they tend to oviposit on small sticks, and that other Ambystoma adults can be found beneath logs and other debris. This site is apparently a challenge, however, because a friend who has worked it with a drift fence has never caught adults migrating into or away from the site. Any out of left field tips or hints would be appreciated.

Lamb

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty early in the season. I don't know where exactly you're located, but even in the deep south, I wouldn't expect anything to migrate for another couple of weeks.

If it's not protected, try using minnow traps. I always had great luck finding them in traps. I found them from early February into April (males only that late in the season).

They've never seemed as prevalent as say spotteds.

Lamb

Reaction score
I'm in MS. We had a decent drought in October, which may also be setting our amphibians back a little. For example, the drought reduced water levels at one central newt site to the point that we found a few efts (which aren't common in MS). Fortunately, we've had a few days of some good rain. I'll try to check on the site every once in a while. Thanks for the reminder that it takes time to travel ;)

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
You can also try dip netting. Pick a time when you know that the breeding season is over and then ponds should have larvae. You can dip net at night and use a headlight. When the time is right, I always see larvae out at night and they're easier to see when your shining a light on them.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
A. talpoideum are one of the earliest species to migrate. They breed from December to March, with some localities even breeding as early as November. For comparison, they usually breed around the begining of February here in Virginia. Weather is probably the most important thing you want to keep an eye on. You'll want to head out on cool, rainy nights. The best nights seems to be the ones where it has been raining heavily all day long, non-stop.

Lamb

Reaction score
Well, I waited just a biiit too long to go back out. It rained softly the past two days, and I probably should have gone night before last. We went out today and found egg-masses out of which the embryos had already dropped. We found a few embryos in an egg-mass, but they are likely duds as they should be wiggling, but aren't. I'll go back in a few weeks to see if I can dip-net a few larvae.

We also went to "Siren pond," which was awesome. What looked like A. opacum larvae were everywhere, as were tadpoles and a handful of R. sphenocephala egg masses. To top it off, we saw two newts (Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis) in the process of breeding! The male fanned his tail, laid down a spermatophore, and was trying so hard! But I think our presence irked the female, as she didn't take it. Hopefully walking away allowed them to get back together.

Even though we missed the A. talpoidium, it was still a good night!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Talpoideum can stagger breeding in the south. In Texas they will breed in the fall, say October and November, and also some will breed in the same pond in early spring (Feb/March). I would not be surprised if it was similar in MS.

They breed strictly in fishless ponds, usually with turbid (cloudy) water. Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1