Finding Ambystoma tigrinum

Spotted DerF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
SpotteD DerF
Has any one found Ambystoma tigrinum or any type of salamander or newt in south Florida?
I saw on Caudata Culture that Ambystoma tigrinum ranges here in Florida,

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my pet store is beginning to receive peninsula newts with there orders of feeder shrimp.
although they take advantage of it, and sell them for 10 bucks a piece.
not sure about the ambystoma. but i recall finding a congo eel. which is a type of salamander.
and a mud siren. all of which were found at a local lake.

South Florida has very low salamander diversity compared to North Florida and the panhandle. Tigers don't range into the southern part of the state. You should be able to find several neotenic species, though: peninsula newts (Notophthalmus viridescens piaropicola), two-toed amphiuma (Amphiuma means), greater siren (Siren lacertina), and Everglades dwarf siren (Pseudobranchus axanthus belli).

Tigers are hard to find at the best of times, unless you know when and where the waterdogs are. As Nathan indicated, tigers barely range into Florida so unless you're willing to travel north, forget about that particular species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back