Finding animals...

K

kyle

I've been keeping axolotls for some time, and I'd like to try keeping some salamanders, newts, or something along those lines. I'd particularly like to keep animals that I could breed for fun to use in the classroom, show the stages etc., although I suppose it might not be possible.

While the year is winding down, this long term project might need to to wait until spring to get started--any ideas where I could get started finding them? I'm near Lake Erie and could get around to creeks, rivers, or whatever. Lots of people post they have found tons of larvae of different things, but not sure where they do it!

I dont know about state, but in Canada Ontario, it is illegal to keep wild caught amphibian. But I think in Buffalo, you should be able to find some Red-spoted newt.

You may also get some eggs or larvae from local breeder. Chinese Fire Belly are easy breeding newts. I have a bunch of larvae of CFB as well.

Ooh, Ontario, that's not too far away. Where do you get CFB larvae from? I suppose if you get from a supplier on that side of the border it might still have some border troubles for me.

I have never had Chinese Fire Belly newts, but I think they look great and would love to give them a try.

Have you raised any axololt eggs? Do you have access to any live foods for larvae (daphnia, blackworms, etc)? Do you have a preference for animals that are aquatic versus terrestrial?

O.. I got my CFB from a Fish Store. Then I breeded them by myself. That is how I got my larvae.

They turned out wonderful and easy to take care. Only the larvae are very troublesome and take lot of time.

Jennifer--yes, I've raised axolotl from eggs; that's how I have always made my collections.

Since I have more experience with aquatic animals I suppose I have a preference for them, but it might be fun to try terrestrial ones sometime. I've got more than enough space--one reason I've (so far) chosen axolotls is probably because I can grow their food in tubs year round and the food can't "crawl out" into my house. I do have a wormbox outside for all but the frozen months of the year, and trying to culture some other food that might be tasty for terrestrials would be part of the fun.
happy.gif

For larvae I grow daphnia and have a brine shrimp hatchery. In some ways, I actually enjoy caring for axolotl larvae more than adults because there is more to "do."

I've looked around the fish stores right where I live and pickings are pretty sparce. They sell mostly fish (I don't live in a really urban area, and pet stores don't have the largest variety in the world).
sad.gif

(Message edited by komdori on October 30, 2005)

I guess my CFB are very aquatic also. Only the eft stage will be terrestrial.

Interestingly, I have never seen any Axolotl in Ontario.

Yeah I haven't seen any axolotl here ether all I can find are CFB's but I'd rather CFB or JFB
but axolotls are cool

Well I saw Rough Skinned Newt, Mandarin Newt and Tiger Salamander available in Toronto Area.

Back to the original topic. There is another way to get salamander eggs. It is from the online shop. Though some people here might against doing so due to environment protect. You can find those website by googling it with bio-supply. or try this. www.wardsci.com

I sure wish I could find another Rough-Skinned newt!

Actually. I heard that Rough-skinned Newt is regularly available in Toronto Canada. Interesting.
These are the only three newts available in Ontario Fist store:
Cynops Orientalis
Rough Skinned Newt
Emperor Newt, Aka Mandarin Newt

I wish I get to see more.
happy.gif

Not even just in Downtown Toronto but in a lot of Toronto 'burbs as well. That's where I got my t. grans.

Unfortunately I live all the way down in WV in the states. Anyone know of where you can order rough skinned online? Or is anyone willing to ship one to me *cough cough*!!!
happy.gif

Ali, my male comes out of quarantine at the end of the month, and gets tossed in with my rather shapely females. If I get eggs, I'll hold you some.

Yeah and I wish T.grans would fall from the sky into my nearby fishless ponds.... I looked at that site, and I was amazed to find how expesive their stuff is. 12 albino rats for 285 bucks!!! wow.

Then I saw this [[expletives removed]] evil!!!

Catalog :: Biology :: Living Specimens :: Animals :: Newt
Thursday, November 10, 2005

Newt

Notophthalmus viridescens. These attractive amphibians add character to an aquatic/terrestrial terrarium. Newts�f skin secretions make them unappealing food for predators, so they can coexist with other species. Some have a terrestrial stage that may last up to three years. Care instructions are included. Size: approximately 2��. Package of three.

(Message edited by jennewt on November 11, 2005)

Joan! You would be my hero! Feel free to e-mail me (is my e-mail address hidden to you?). I'd be interested in knowing the approx. cost of having one shipped to WV after it morphs (as my baby is rather large!). I'm so excited!

I may even take 2 depending on how large my new tank ends up on being. granulosa is just so fun to watch! They swim around and are so happy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back