Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finicky salamandra salamandra

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I live in southern california and it is HOT here during some months! Keeping salamandra is not always that easy for me, seeing that I was freezing water bottles and placing them in my two salamanders ten gallon tank to cool it down. This method does sorta work but does not keep the temperature down for a long enough time. I just recently bought a wine cooler and which goes up to 65 degrees and now are keeping them in there. The temp im their tub is actually around 61 however. They are getting thinner and will not eat as much. Could this be slightly too cold for them since they were previously kept at the high 60s and low 70s? Could it be a lack of photo period? Or could it be that they are not used to being housed in simplistic tub with wet paper towels and half pot on its side versus their previous ten gallon vivarium?

Hello everyone,
I noticed something very different about my salamander compared to most. Mine only seem to want crickets. They show no interest in worms at all! In virtually no other feeders I have tried they have shown no interest! Also since I moved them over to a wine refrigerator, they have stopped eating for the most part, and the female is looking more bloated than usual. Any ideas??? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1