Fire bellied newt deaths

thunder2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody,
I purchased seven CB Cynops cyanurus two months ago. They were kept in an aquarium about 48 inches long and filled up about 8 inches. I used a small fan to keep the water temperature at around 65 degrees Fahrenheit . The aquarium had a filter, however it became so clogged with algae it stopped working. I did not replace it as I had many plants and my water tests showed no ammonia or nitrite. There was a land area present in the aquarium covered in the packing moss the newts were shipped in. The newts were fed primarily chopped earthworm and after a small amount of trouble with feeding at first, they all began to eat at most feedings. One of the newts was smaller than the others and lived on land. One day I found him dead underwater. At the time I thought that he was a terrestrial juvenile that had been scared off of the land area and into the water by one of my larger newts where he drowned. A week or two later my newts appetites began to decline to the point where few if any of them ate at each feeding. About this time, I lost my largest newt that had been aquatic but right before he died had gone terrestrial. He too was found dead underwater. Yesterday I lost a third newt. At this, I decided to move the remaining newts to a terrestrial setup where I am misting them daily. One of the newts appears to be ill as he went terrestrial like the others that died so I placed him in his own container. Can any of you guys see anything that went wrong with the setup? Could it be a pathogen that is killing my newts? Should I continue to keep them in a terrestrial setup or should I move them to an aquatic one? Before I knew of the risks I kept some ADFs in the tank, however it was vacated for over a month before the newts were put in. Could chytrid have lingered long enough to infect my newts? Thank you for your help.
Sincerely thunder2000

It does sound like a disease of some kind and Xenopus frogs are notorious for carrying chytrid, but I don't know how long it can last without a host. Newts often seem to leave the water when they're sick or stressed so it could be any number of things. I think the only way to find out for sure would be to take any survivors to a vet that treats herps.
In the mean time it's vital that you keep any nets or buckets etc you've used for the cyanurus well away from any other amphibians and treat any water you tip away with bleach.
Sorry I can't be any more help, but it's impossible to guess.

ADF are hymenichorus rather than xenopus but they are known to carry chytrid. I cant remember how long chytrid can survive without a host in an aquarium but its about 16 weeks in slurry. Its good practice to steralise tanks when changing species, thought this may not have been the problem in your case.

Thank you for the help. I do not yet have a herp vet located in my area but plan on searching for one. As far as the survivors go, how should I care for them? I am trying to keep them as cool as I can but unless they are in the water I can not use the fan. I am keeping them below room temperature, but not as cool as I would like to have them. Should I try to set them up a temporary aquatic habitat or will they be safer in a moist terrestrial one?
Thanks

I was just thinking about refrigerating them. At what temperature would I want to set the fridge?

I do fridge my pyrrhos for their winter rest, but I haven't fridged any newts to try and help recovery before. I have read that H. cyanurus are less tolerant of low temperature than C. pyrrhogaster though, so I'd be careful if you do.
There is a product available here in the UK called Bactyfec that I used as a bath to treat a young T. verrucosus that stopped eating and lost weight, it might be worth a shot if you can get it. It claims to be effective against bacterial and fungal infections, but I can't remember exactly what's in it.

Eta; It contains an antibiotic called Enrofloxacine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back