Fire belly newt aquarium filter?

Snakes0415

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keith
Hi guys,
I'm going to be getting some fire belly newts in the next week or so and I'm setting up the cage this week I was curious what type of filter is best for them and what should I use as temperature control. So hopefully someone can answer my question.

The first problem here is that if you are getting the newts next week, you should have set up the tank waaaaay earlier. Cycling usually takes about a month, so setting it up now is nowhere near time enough for an stable environment to develop.
Are you buying the newts from a shop? If so, they are WC and they will be extremely stressed, needing optimal conditions to have a decent chance of recovering, provided that they are not already sick, which is frequently the case. I don't know if it's too late, but if it isn't i would strongly recommend not buying from a shop and not participating of the WC market which causes untold missery and suffering to countless animals every year. It is ethically rotten, but as a consumer, it is also your worst option.

Anyway, rant over. As for the filter, you'd be better off without one. This species does not like currents and much prefers completely still water. You can fully substitute the filter with large amount of live plants, particularly fast growing ones. They will provide biological filtration even without an stablished bacterial colony.
There is a stupifyingly large amount of information on this species throughout the forums, you should really get reading.

Last edited:
I use sponge filters in most of my tanks. They are extremely easy to maintain and do a good job. In terms of temperature control, newts like it cool. No need for a heater. My biggest challenge is keeping my newts cool in the summer. I set my thermostat at 68 degrees. (and my girlfriend hates me for it). Other methods for reducing temperature is to change and/or reduce lighting. I often add slightly cooler water during water changes. Hope this helps!

The first problem here is that if you are getting the newts next week, you should have set up the tank waaaaay earlier. Cycling usually takes about a month, so setting it up now is nowhere near time enough for an stable environment to develop.
Are you buying the newts from a shop? If so, they are WC and they will be extremely stressed, needing optimal conditions to have a decent chance of recovering, provided that they are not already sick, which is frequently the case. I don't know if it's too late, but if it isn't i would strongly recommend not buying from a shop and not participating of the WC market which causes untold missery and suffering to countless animals every year. It is ethically rotten, but as a consumer, it is also your worst option.

Anyway, rant over. As for the filter, you'd be better off without one. This species does not like currents and much prefers completely still water. You can fully substitute the filter with large amount of live plants, particularly fast growing ones. They will provide biological filtration even without an stablished bacterial colony.
There is a stupifyingly large amount of information on this species throughout the forums, you should really get reading.

Well it's not set in stone when I have to get the newts. But because now I know I should be more prepared I will now wait a month or so to get them. Also you said not to buy then from pet shops so where should I buy them from if not from a pet shop?

I use sponge filters in most of my tanks. They are extremely easy to maintain and do a good job. In terms of temperature control, newts like it cool. No need for a heater. My biggest challenge is keeping my newts cool in the summer. I set my thermostat at 68 degrees. (and my girlfriend hates me for it). Other methods for reducing temperature is to change and/or reduce lighting. I often add slightly cooler water during water changes. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much!!!

There are strategies for setting up biological filtration so you don't have to wait a month. Anytime I set up a new tank I use water, rocks, plants, etc. from my other tanks. I use guppies (which I breed / not the feeder fish from the pet shop) to help speed things up. There are also products you may buy which contain nitrifying bacteria. The bacteria load in a tank will be dependent on the organic waste (food) available. So you must slowly add life to the tank to build up the bacteria.

All that being said, if setting up a new tank with tap water without using any of the strategies above, it will take about a month to cycle.

If it's not set in stone then it is definitely the best idea to wait. Having a fully cycled, stable tank is not a trivial advantage, it makes a huge difference.
As for where to get the newts, the best option is always getting them directly from a breeder. I would advice you to consider other species, though, since captive bred Hypselotriton orientalis are almost always offered as very small juveniles and they are not the easiest to raise for a beginner. They are tiny, tend to be exclusively terrestrial and are rather clumsy eaters. There are many other species which are much easier to raise from juveniles and are widely available from breeders like Pleurodeles waltl, Tylototriton verrucosus, Triturus cristatus, T.karelinii, T.carnifex, T.dobrogicus, T.macedonicus, Hypselotriton cyanurus...

Also, check out this article:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Most aquarists loathe the stuff, but if you can get some duckweed, it really will help water quality. That said, if you want to grow submerged plants, avoid it because it is an extremely quick growing floating plant that will block the light for other plants. It does give tanks a nice swamp feel which lends nicely to newt tanks, though...

Hypselotriton orientalis are almost always offered as very small juveniles and they are not the easiest to raise for a beginner. They are tiny, tend to be exclusively terrestrial and are rather clumsy eaters.

I can't speak for everyone raising and/or selling CB H. orientalis, but I have had great success with them. I have been breeding them for the last 10 years or so. They usually become aquatic within a couple months and eat well. In fact, last year I had to separate some of the chunky individuals and put them on a diet.

My CB C.e.popei, on the other hand, have been a real challenge. They were exclusively terrestrial and finicky eaters. I had to separate them by size and try different foods with the smaller ones.

This year I am raising C. pyrrhogaster, T. dobrogicus, as well as H. orientalis. This is my first time raising C. pyrrhogaster and T. dobrogicus. I am curious to see how difficult they are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back