Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Belly Newt tank

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some snaps of mine over the last few years.

Attachments

• pyrrho tank2.jpg
    pyrrho tank2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,165
  • pyrrho tank 1.jpg
    pyrrho tank 1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 830
  • pyrrhos.jpg
    pyrrhos.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 752
  • pyrrho 3.jpg
    pyrrho 3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 630

23matt3

Reaction score
Your plants look like they are flourishing! What's your secret? (;

I just have PFS (Pool Filter Sand), but I was considering to go dirt on the bottom and cap with PFS, or just do root tabs and PFS. Still debating though

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your plants look like they are flourishing! What's your secret? (;

I just have PFS (Pool Filter Sand), but I was considering to go dirt on the bottom and cap with PFS, or just do root tabs and PFS. Still debating though

Thanks! No secret, I just try to pick easy to grow plants and use the best LED lighting I can afford. After that they seem to thrive on neglect, I just have a good prune/clear out every few months.
The only substrate I ever use is kids play sand from the supermarket, I think it's very similar to pool filter sand. I don't use any kind of fertiliser apart from what the newts produce and I get away with it most of the time, although more demanding plant species might struggle a bit.

sinomoyyhi89

Reaction score
I love your tank Chinadog! About how deep would you say your sand is? It looks like a pretty thin layer in the photo.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! It is very thin with a little more depth at the back for the plants to root in.
I was warned about having a deep layer of sand because toxic gas and bacteria can develop, but I've seen loads of tanks with deep sand working very well, so I guess its just personal preference.

JoshBA

Reaction score
20H C. e. popei tank. Substrate is sand covering about an inch of compost mixed with clay. This picture was taken after hacking away large portions of vallisneria.
d092fa69c425ba85cde8b0fc129896f0.jpg

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

optarix12

Reaction score
This is fantastic! Such lush greenery, I'm sure the lil buddy enjoys that much cover. Makes me want an aquatic species in the future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!