Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire sal. terrariums confusi/n

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello,
I have just gotten a fire sal. and was woundering what kind of substrate would be best for it. Right now it is in a 10 gal. tank with sand at the bottom then bark with a layer of moss on top. Should I get rid of most of the moss and bark and instead use a organic soil/sand mixture? I have had him for two days and he hasen't eaten. Is this a environemtal problem or is he still stressed due to the moving he has not eaten anything. (Bought him at a reptile show, he was labled a a spotted sal. I know for sure he is a fire sal.) I have a light for the tank but it seems to bother him so i have been keeping it off, also i mist the moss and have a bowl of water to help keep it moist. Any info or pics of some fire sal. tanks would be much appriceiated.
thank you
michael

R

rob

A good caresheet is given on this site. Go to the main page and look at the links on the side. One will say something like "websites" or close to that (I forget for sure) and in there you're find Caudate Central. Go to that site and you can find care sheets for a large number of species including yours.

It would be under the Salamandra section, with it's name being Salamandra Salamandra and some subspecies that you could probably discover from the pics on the site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!