Fire Salamander acting out of character

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I used to be on the forum years ago but not had a need to visit again until now.

I have a fire sallie that I've had for around 10-11 years and I believe this is the average age that they live. I am a little concerned as he (she?) is acting out of character for him. For the last 4 days or so he has started spending all his time out of his hide and just sitting in the same position in the open for hours. He still looks in good condition, not sure if he's eating , he has a colony of woodlice that he snacks on as and when. I feed him slugs and the occasional earthworm and nothing else has changed in his environment. Any ideas? Do you think I should be concerned? I love the little guy, but I know he's elderly for a sallie.

Thanks, Kerry.

When that happened to my baby Gigliolli I was because he didn’t like something in his environment. You may also want to monitor his eating by placing food in an area close to him and watching that he eats.
An overall check of his environment would be good. Changing water, checking temperature, monitoring food. It’ll help you to figure out if their is an issue.

Best wishes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back