Fire salamanders

redfoot man

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi , I have a group of 8 fire salamanders, that i've picked up over a number of years,
I moved them outside in early April 2012,into a large walled area with a pond lots of hiding places moses etc.
In September I found over a 3 week period,what can only be discribed as eggs,
they were clear jelly with a white sack,and a small live larvae inside,about 20 having been layed.
After about 2 -3 days they died,
I just thought they had been layed / aborted early,so did'nt think too much about it ,hoping next year all will be well,its just one of those things !
Anyway 3 weeks ago checking the pond , I found 3 small larvae ,fearing a frost might
kill them ,the pond is only inches at the deep end. I caught them up ,stuck them in a tank on a north facing window ,stuffed it full off daphnia and blood worm loads of weed, rain water,they are going great .
All I wanted to know is ...Is the egg laying with the jelly,white sack,and little larvae normal,I thought they should be born fully formed ready to go !

Don't worry. What you describe is simply and perfectly normal. I've witnessed that myself before, exactly the same.

Good luck with the young ones!

It happens, but i don´t think those eggs can develop. They probably were feeder eggs for the developing larvae (they practise adelphophagy). The larvae you found latter on were almost certainly deposited at a separate time.

Could you maybe add some photo's of how you keep the adults? I would love to see :D

Hi .
some pics of set up etc..
looks a bit messy as we had a tree come down over it,so just cleared it away.

Attachments

• salamanders 013.jpg
    salamanders 013.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 421
  • salamanders 017.jpg
    salamanders 017.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 308
  • salamanders 018.jpg
    salamanders 018.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 282
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back