Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First Rattlesnakes!!!

Jefferson

Reaction score
On Friday, July 22, an alluring thought popped into my head: it was 95 degrees, and a road cruise through a rocky, south-facing slope area might yield a Timber Rattlesnake. I thought the chances were very low to actually find one of these big bruisers and that I would likely find a few non-venomous snakes on my route. Well, I needed to get out of town for a night anyway, so why not? I took a friend along and we buzzed through the Shenandoah Valley as dusk set in, closing in on our wilderness spot. Amid thin layers of haze coming off the mountains of the Blue Ridge, we exited the valley along a stream-hugging one lane, and not a half mile into the road, there sat in the fore of my high beams a three-foot Timber Rattler!!! We got out to photograph and video record the snake, and as we got within eight feet, it began to rattle at us as it slithered off the road and into the ditch. It disappeared after an adrenaline-filled minute, and I was about as hyped as I have ever been. As if that weren't a blessed enough night of road cruising, we spotted yet another Timber Rattler, this one almost five feet long and with a more yellowish hue, and a Copperhead, on the way out. My friends, that was one epic night!

Happy herpin'
Jefferson

Attachments

• IMG_1650 (2).jpg
    IMG_1650 (2).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 235

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Awesome finds! I have yet to road cruise a timber, although I've seen a few by hiking or flipping tin. Last year we visited the Blue Ridge in Virginia, and actually saw two in a day, which was mind-blowing for me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1