Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First time axolotl owner - please help!

isomudkip

Reaction score
Two days ago, I finally got my first axolotl. I have been really staying on top of my ice bottle changes and water testing as my aquarium did cycle for 2 months, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was fully cycled. Today I noticed some very minor curling on the edges of my axie's tail. My water parameters are perfect (pH: 7.4-7.6, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0-5), although I rarely see nitrates. This is why I suspect it might not have been 100% cycled. Due to a heat wave here, I have been working to do very minor temperature adjustments to keep the tank between 67* and 68.5* Farenheit with the ice bottles mentioned above. I also have a fan set up next to my aquarium while I wait for the aquarium fan that I ordered. The only things that I am thinking may be stressing my axie out are 1) my tank is bare bottom, although it doesn't seem to have a hard time getting around, and 2) my water is kinda cloudy/milky. However, has been slightly improving with the circulation that the axolotl provides and I just bought a bigger air pump for my 2 sponge filters and installed air stones inside of them. The very informed previous axolotl owner at the pet store told me that it is likely just new tank syndrome and to leave it alone, but I wonder if it makes it harder for the axolotl to see? Is there anything that I can improve, or is it maybe just stressed out from being introduced to a new home? I will add that I have no problem getting it to eat or go to the bathroom.

I also had two other questions that maybe some folks can help with... do I need a lid? I purchased a glass lid from Aqueon but I suspect that it somehow makes my temperatures rise. I have my axie in a 20 gallon long about 60% filled with water, if that helps.

Additionally, I have noticed that my axolotl is very active. It doesn't seem frantic or panicked, but it swims around A LOT, rarely hides despite plenty of hiding spots, and sometimes bumps into walls or corners.

Any help that you can provide would be awesome. I spent 2 months and countless hours researching to get an axolotl and I'm actually paralyzed with fear that I'm doing something wrong or that it isn't happy or healthy. I love my little guy/gal already and want to give it the best home possible! Thank you, in advance.

isomudkip

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Thank you for the responses! I spoke to a knowledgeable person at my nearest pet store and he recommended Stability. It has done wonders! I finally am seeing clarity in my water and those awesome, awesome nitrates that I was looking for. It appears my tank is finally cycling. I did see some 1 ppm ammonia levels, so I was quick to do a 30% water change yesterday and the day before and that took care of things. It is hovering around .5 ppm now but I have dosed Prime to "de-toxify" the ammonia. I check my water twice a day with a master kit. The curling that I was discussing is all but gone, now, too. I think I am finally getting a handle on caring for my axie and learning what is normal and not normal for my specific guy or gal. Thank you, again!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
While you get your tank cycling please tub your axolotl. Ammonia needs to be free to feed your cycle and is toxic at any level same with nitrites.

Your tank is considered cycled when you can dose with 4ppm ammonia and it drops to 0 in 24 hours, nitrites 0 and nitrates likely high, you do this for 3 days as a challenge. if Nitrates hit 160ppm you need to do a 75% water change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!