Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First time axolotl owner - please help!

isomudkip

Reaction score
Two days ago, I finally got my first axolotl. I have been really staying on top of my ice bottle changes and water testing as my aquarium did cycle for 2 months, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was fully cycled. Today I noticed some very minor curling on the edges of my axie's tail. My water parameters are perfect (pH: 7.4-7.6, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0-5), although I rarely see nitrates. This is why I suspect it might not have been 100% cycled. Due to a heat wave here, I have been working to do very minor temperature adjustments to keep the tank between 67* and 68.5* Farenheit with the ice bottles mentioned above. I also have a fan set up next to my aquarium while I wait for the aquarium fan that I ordered. The only things that I am thinking may be stressing my axie out are 1) my tank is bare bottom, although it doesn't seem to have a hard time getting around, and 2) my water is kinda cloudy/milky. However, has been slightly improving with the circulation that the axolotl provides and I just bought a bigger air pump for my 2 sponge filters and installed air stones inside of them. The very informed previous axolotl owner at the pet store told me that it is likely just new tank syndrome and to leave it alone, but I wonder if it makes it harder for the axolotl to see? Is there anything that I can improve, or is it maybe just stressed out from being introduced to a new home? I will add that I have no problem getting it to eat or go to the bathroom.

I also had two other questions that maybe some folks can help with... do I need a lid? I purchased a glass lid from Aqueon but I suspect that it somehow makes my temperatures rise. I have my axie in a 20 gallon long about 60% filled with water, if that helps.

Additionally, I have noticed that my axolotl is very active. It doesn't seem frantic or panicked, but it swims around A LOT, rarely hides despite plenty of hiding spots, and sometimes bumps into walls or corners.

Any help that you can provide would be awesome. I spent 2 months and countless hours researching to get an axolotl and I'm actually paralyzed with fear that I'm doing something wrong or that it isn't happy or healthy. I love my little guy/gal already and want to give it the best home possible! Thank you, in advance.

Reaction score
Hey there! I’m a relatively new axie owner myself, but I can totally relate to the situation you are in!
If your tank was running for two months, it definitely sounds cycled, though there can always be exceptions.The cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom, but I’m not sure because my cloudy water is caused from my sand when it get moved around.
If you are only seeing minor curling, it is likely just from moving stress. Axies don’t always curl their tails just because they are stressed, especially if they are turning around and moving! Same thing with swimming, this isn’t always a sign of stress, especially in younger axies. My axolotl did laps around the tank and still is always swimming and bumping into things and walls. I even removed the hides because he never used them!
Having a lid is really a matter of opinion. Yes, unless it is some kind of mesh or screen, the temperature will rise and the you won’t have luck with fans. Axolotls can jump out of the tank, which is the main reason people want lids. I was like this as well, but never found a way to buy or make a lid to fit around my 20 gallon long and my filter tubes. I’ve always had my tank full to about 2 inches from the top, but I’m sure if he wanted to Oaki (my axie) could jump out. A lid is a safety net for rare worse-case scenarios, but I’ve had my axolotl since January and never have had any problems (he is very active as well).
I hope this helps a bit, I understand that right now is stressful and you feel like even looking at him/her wrong could damage them, but they are pretty hardy creatures and from what it sounds like, you are prepared, asking questions, and doing everything right! Let me know if you have more questions, I’d be glad to help!

Macaroni5510

Reaction score
Im not sure if you still need help but here it is:

Slight curling of the gills is not usually a problem. Axolotls are curious and new surroundings sometimes cause their gills to curl a little. Bare bottom is no problem, and the milky water would be a bacterial bloom. This indicates your tank probably wasn't cycled, but the bloom itself is completely harmless. Axolotls have very poor eyesight, so i wouldn't be worried about that either.

Nitrated are an indicator ofof cycled tank so not seeing any could mean it's not. Ammonia is broken down into nitrite, then nitrite to nitrate. From there, nitrate just stays and that's what you should use to tell you when to clean your tank (as long as there's no ammonia or nitrite of course). It's possible your axolotl just hasn't produced enough ammonia to make that apparent though :)

As of lids, you should probably have one since axolotls are known to jump. Mesh reptile lids have worked best for me since fans can be directly placed on them. Unless you want to get a chiller, your main goal is evaporation to cool the water. Glass lids don't allow this, so your fans won't do anything. Another thing to note is to have your fans blowing at the waters surface, not away. More ripples = more surface area = more evaporation

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1