Question: First time Axolotl owner

LunaCarlos

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys, I’ve just joined the forums and I was hoping you might be able to offer me some advice. Apologies if i have not picked the right place to post. I have a melanoid and a leucistic and they’re about 2 years old. They were gifted to me as babies (not tiny babies, maybe 10cm long). I was unexperienced with axolotls, having never owned one and only ever seen one in real life once. Safe to say it wasn’t the best idea for a present but here we are. I have done my absolute best to give them a wonderful life because I love them dearly, but I feel I may have screwed them up in some ways. One such way is that I have hand fed them since they were small, and now they are unable to eat any food unless I hold the food for them. Is there any way of “training” them out of this? Or is it too late?
They also only eat chicken livers (I manage to get ¼ of a square of nutritional axolotl food into each of them every 3 days) but they will only accept ¼ of it then refuse to eat unless I offer chicken livers, but from what I’ve heard, chicken livers should only be given as a treat.

Another concern I have is that my melanoid is pregnant (yes I was gifted a male and a female!) She has been pregnant 4 or 5 times since I’ve had them, and she has laid the eggs and unfortunately I have removed them and disposed of them (humanely) as I do not have the means to care for more than 2 axolotls. She was becoming pregnant around every 3 months, and I have heard that this is a good sign because it means she and my leucistic male are happy. It has been more than 6 months since her last pregnancy, but she is looking VERY pregnant again. It is hard to see the magnitude of her size in the photo, but I can describe her as looking like she is literally about to burst. She has been looking this way for over a month now, and I’m becoming concerned that she’s unable to lay the eggs for some reason. Is this possible?

On the other hand, my leucistic male looks a bit on the skinny side and he never eats as much as my female. My female will eat and eat as long as I offer her food, but my male will refuse food after about 2-3 tiny pieces. Should I be concerned about his size? And my females size?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• BeautyPlus_20170618142704_save.jpg
    BeautyPlus_20170618142704_save.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 147
  • BeautyPlus_20170618142751_save.jpg
    BeautyPlus_20170618142751_save.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 120
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back