Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fish with axolotls

pipirose

Reaction score
Has anyone kept fish with axolotls and is this possible? I know they eat smaller fish but what about larger (coldwater) fish that can't fit in their mouths?

tipnatee

Reaction score
lol I still remember when other member ripped me a new one after I mentioned the inccident during my cycling tank and cleaning , I ran out of room so putted my fancy gold fish in the same tank with lots of axie temporary. Well my axies declared war against the goldfish , and it was a crazy disaster . So my advice is to never mention mix species idea , it's not good for the soul trust me :D

emdalliance

Reaction score
You should never mix species. Ever. It's a dangerous game. Tipnatee you also were not ripped a new one, as I observed the whole conversation. Why you'd let your axolotls jump on your goldfish is beyond me, I can only imagine how stressed your goldfish was.

OP just don't think about it, then there's no problem. Bigger fish will nip at the axolotl and not to mention the bioload. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxianxx

Reaction score
It depends on the species of fish and what your trying to achieve. There are some species of fish which are commonly used as feeders, guppies, white cloud mountain minnows etc. They should be quarantined or bred yourself in an isolated system to reduce the chances of introducing disease. Most will disappear quite fast with a few of the smarter ones hanging about and eventually may breed but they generally get wiped out so you need to replenish them occasionally. Fish should only be used as a food source rather than tank mates, there is absolutely no benefit to an axolotl to share a tank with fish other than as snacks. Some species of fish like plecos will suck slime of axolotls bodies and may eventually kill them , larger fish may attack axolotl gills damaging them and allowing fungal infections to take hold, other fish have spikes or spines which can injure and even kill. People need to use some common sense when choosing to add fish to an axolotl tank, some are ok and some are potentially lethal. There are people who mix axolotls with bigger fish and report no problems but why bother and take that risk ?

AristotleA

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my input. I have had my axolotl with Zebra Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Both were disastrous and ended with me euthanasing the fish.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

tipnatee

Reaction score
You should never mix species. Ever. It's a dangerous game. Tipnatee you also were not ripped a new one, as I observed the whole conversation. Why you'd let your axolotls jump on your goldfish is beyond me, I can only imagine how stressed your goldfish was.

OP just don't think about it, then there's no problem. Bigger fish will nip at the axolotl and not to mention the bioload. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The topic of the original poster started as someone kill the gold fish before, but later considering of getting axolotl. I had my share of making mistake along the way of pet keeping . Sharing the story of mistake was the part of it. Running out of room during fish tank under go a short cycling while tried cleaning other container to put the fish in, just kinda ended up with fish on hold on axolotl tank was unplanned. It happen long time ago but I could never forget what I witnessed.

onyx2011

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my input. I have had my axolotl with Zebra Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Both were disastrous and ended with me euthanasing the fish.

What exactly went wrong??? I've been thinking about having small feeder fish like white cloud minnows when Tabi gets bigger because most people said small feeders were just fine.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

AristotleA

Reaction score
The Danios seemed to be scared of the axolotl and the Minnows would nip at his gills.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I put cherry shrimp in my aquarium with my newts ,the newts love it not so much the cherry shrimp:eek:. I put about 10 in about 3 days ago i can only find 2 now. Some say cherry shrimp are to fast, not for my n.v.l.'s. I have notice since i put scuds and cherry shrimp in for them to nibble on, they seem to either be hunting or mating, always seem bizzy know:D.

Cant say axolotls will in joy there company but cant see why not.

gbed92

Reaction score
Stay away from fish with Axolotls. It is just not worth it. You're either going to spend a lot of money for them to end up as food or you're gonna end up with a poorly and bullied axolotl.

I desperately wanted tank mates for my Axolotl and I found some for him. He now has two red spotted snails in with him and they are getting a long great. He sometimes stands on the snails but he never tries to nip them and they stay away from him. The snails have even been comfortable enough to breed.

I know they're not super exciting but I wanted to achieve a more natural looking tank and snails really do add a river type of feel to the tank. Plus if there are any mushed up pellets left lying around I can rely on the snails to eat what I miss. And I look into the tank more because I like to see what everyone is doing.

Think more outside of the box if you have your mind set on tank mates and do plenty of research.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!