Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

fish with axolotls?

kiwi axolotls

Reaction score
was just wondering what fish would be suitable to go with axolotls? i’ve heard good fish are good but will they also eat copepods cause my tank is literally covered with them so want something that will eat them

leo_axie

Reaction score
In my opinion I wouldn’t put fish with my axolotl, people tend to put guppies with axolotls but there has been times where the guppies will bite the axolotl so personally I wouldn’t put fish with axolotls (but this might not be the case for everyone) but with copepods they are not harmful, and are actually a sign that you have a good balance in your tank. You can try putting tetras to eat the copepods but there’s a good chance the axolotl will eat the tetras

Last edited:

Southwest Axolotls

Reaction score
I agree with the above posts and would like to add some fish skeletons are also hard for axolotls to digest leading to impactation which can cause serious harm or even death. Despite the fish taking a liking to your axolotls Gill the constant movement in the tank can also cause the axolotl a lot of stress.
Many people advise ( as do we) that your axolotls should be housed alone and without any scaled companions :)

efs710920mex

Reaction score
Personally, I've had a good experience qith guppys. I have a pair of axos with a pair of guppys and they are bothe fine. Guppys breed a lot so the axos get some hunting fun.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!