Flapping gills??

Dani_m1264

Reaction score
Country
United States
A woman online was giving away baby axolotl‘s and my sister got one and ended up giving it to me, it’s about an inch long at most and has been doing really well in his tank and is eating swimming around playing and everything but today he’s slapping his gills I think? Or flaring them down really quick and doing it every so often, what could this be?

that's what all axolotls do to bring fresh oxygen into their gills. its perfectly normal and safe. :)

Okay thank you so much! This woman was just handing out babies to random people on Facebook for 10 dollars and I made sure to get one to take care of it, his gills turn in some but not too much

Edit- he’s now swimming to the top every so often and is then going to lay in his plants

Attachments

• 9DD7D7CF-3425-40DC-821D-4DDCD4154AC4.jpeg
    9DD7D7CF-3425-40DC-821D-4DDCD4154AC4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Okay thank you so much! This woman was just handing out babies to random people on Facebook for 10 dollars and I made sure to get one to take care of it, his gills turn in some but not too much

Edit- he’s now swimming to the top every so often and is then going to lay in his plants
swimming to the surface is also normal behavior. Be sure so do a lot of reading, if you haven't already, on proper care of these critters. This forum is a great resource as well, but axolotls are not a beginner pet and do require specialized care. The more reading you do about them, the more success and less frustration you will have in keeping that little guy.

Is the tank you're keeping it in cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back