Flesh fly maggots good or not?

Tony89

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Thinking of offering sarcophaga carnaria maggots to my baby salamandra giglioli, can get them for very cheap at my local bait shop, but are they good for caudates? Some people say they're not but I'd like some more opinions. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Not Albino Alex:
    And even .25 ammonia is bad what you want for nitrite and ammonia is 0 and .25 for short periods
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @DarthNyQuil, what's your ph? Ammonia is non-toxic at lower ph so might not need to panic, however if you have hard water (think calcium deposits in a tea kettle), you likely have a high pH and thus should be maintaining 0. Either way, use seachem prime to dechlorinate your water and get the added benefit of making ammonia and nitrite non-toxic for 24 hours, the peace of mind is worth it.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @DarthNyQuil, to cycle more quickly/safely, see if you have a friend or trusted LFS with some filter media you could add to your filter. It will cycle it almost instantly, far better than bottled stuff. Speaking of bottled insta-cycle, some people swear by tetra safe start, although I've never used it myself so can't vouch for it. And finally to make it more safe, feel free to do larger water changes to get that ammonia lower- 90% of the bacteria you're growing is in the filter, 9% on surfaces, and maybe 1%> in the water column. So even a
    100% water change won't really effect the cycle process
    +1
    Unlike
  • lvlyvoa:
    hey thank you all so much for your help!! i shouldn't have been so careless, but I love my axie very much and her behaviour has improved as I have started a tank cycle and gotten some good food for her
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @lvlyvoa, good to hear, np. They love nightcrawlers and worms if you have access to them, they're the healthiest thing they can eat since they're a complete prey
    +1
    Unlike
  • BrodieBAxolotls:
    hey, does anyone have any brine shrimp eggs??
    +1
    Unlike
  • liz.:
    i do!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
    AxelTheAxolotl123: my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk +1