Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating and a deformity

HakuAxie

Reaction score
We had a mistake batch hatch in February. We only kept a few and gave the rest to a rehaber.
One of them is a dwarf and he’s been doing very well. Has the biggest fluffiest gills out of all the siblings we kept and is typically pretty happy and active. Yesterday I noticed he was floating upside down. This hasn’t happened before (not since the first couple months after hatching). I keep trying to fix him and he’ll stay upright for a couple seconds but just flip back over after. He’s not bloated and his gills seem perfectly fine. I’m hoping it’s a matter of air inhaling and will fix itself but if anyone has any other ideas it would be much appreciated.

I also have another one from the batch. This one has been a struggle since hatch day. It’s a bit smaller than the rest and has been a tough eater. It often doesn’t eat as much and some days will only eat a tiny piece of a worm. In the last couple months it has developed a curve in its back. It’s like severe scoliosis. It doesn’t seem to bother it a lot but I can’t imagine it’s entirely comfortable. Does anyone know if scoliosis is possible in axies and whats the best course of actions to ensure it’s as comfortable as possible?

Attachments

• 6C6768A5-B8CD-4E45-A7E9-BFAE4A775FEE.jpeg
    6C6768A5-B8CD-4E45-A7E9-BFAE4A775FEE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 555

HakuAxie

Reaction score
This is the dwarf. I put barely enough water so he sits on the bottom and minimizes floating. He almost always floats on one side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 248

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Hi

Cute little oddities but your axolotls are definitely related and have likely come from some no so great bloodlines and should not be bred again as you should not be seeing these anomalies let alone in the same clutch.

They likely have internal issues as well.

You will likely need to feed a higher fat diet like repashy grub pie - easy to digest and lubes up the system. It should help solve the gas issue.

HakuAxie

Reaction score
Hi

Cute little oddities but your axolotls are definitely related and have likely come from some no so great bloodlines and should not be bred again as you should not be seeing these anomalies let alone in the same clutch.

They likely have internal issues as well.

You will likely need to feed a higher fat diet like repashy grub pie - easy to digest and lubes up the system. It should help solve the gas issue.

Like I said it was a complete accident. We no longer have the female and never planned on eggs or breeding and don’t want to go into it. I will try the higher fat diet for both and see if they improve.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1