Floating Axolotl

KiwiTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, so I have a new axolotl (well I’ve had him since march) anyways I never properly cycled the tank I did every method of quick cycling bacteria in a bottle, I squeezed out old filter cartridges in the water I put rocks from an established tank. But I just got the axolotl when there was around 0.5 ammonia in the water. For about 3 months he was fine and the ammonia was sort of high. Then I had to move so I emptied out the tank just left a little water and I moved the tank and re filled it. He was great for a while until he started floating. I started putting bacteria in a bottle in the tank and after a little while he stopped. But then he started again a few days ago I moved him to a smaller tank with fresh water. And he stopped floating for a while. But a few days ago he started floating again so I emptied out the tank and put fresh water in. I put him back in came back today and he stopped floating again. I looked about an hour ago and there he was floating again. I have no clue what on earth to do please help!!

Tub him in cool, dechlorinated water. He's a tank resident, not a decoration. Reintroduce him to the tank when it finishes cycling.

after the period of time that your axolotl was in the tank the tank was semi-cycled (not fully cycled in the sense that the bio-filtration was unable to cope with the amount of waste), when the tank was emptied then refilled some of the bacteria that had colonised was destroyed causing fast build up of nitrogen compounds ie.. ammonia and nitrites, this caused him to float, you then moved him to another uncycled tank where he was ok at first until the nitrogen compounds built up again. as Autistic Catholic said he needs to be tubbed with daily 100% dechlorinated cold water changes and the tank needs to finish cycling and the biological filtration needs to be increased.

after the period of time that your axolotl was in the tank the tank was semi-cycled (not fully cycled in the sense that the bio-filtration was unable to cope with the amount of waste), when the tank was emptied then refilled some of the bacteria that had colonised was destroyed causing fast build up of nitrogen compounds ie.. ammonia and nitrites, this caused him to float, you then moved him to another uncycled tank where he was ok at first until the nitrogen compounds built up again. as Autistic Catholic said he needs to be tubbed with daily 100% dechlorinated cold water changes and the tank needs to finish cycling and the biological filtration needs to be increased.
Thank u!

Oh and I also wanted to say I can’t even remember the last time he pooped.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back