Floating axy, maybe constipated - treatment options?

GarlicAlien

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi all,

My precious axolotl Kirby has been floating uncontrollably (as in, can't swim down even if she tries) for the last 4 days.
After reading a bit about this, I'm thinking she might be constipated, since she hadn't pooped or eaten much in this time.
She's also showing many veins, and I'm not sure what this means...

I've seen lots of conflicting information online, and I'm very confused about how to help her. Unfortunately I couldn't find a single vet in my country (Israel) who's familiar with axolotls, so I'd appreciate help... It's worth noting that Kirby's two tank mates seem just fine.

I checked the tank parameters (nitrite, nitrate and ammonia), they seem fine (though I also noticed my API testing kits have expired, and have ordered new ones). My water is currently at 17 degrees C (62.6 F). Also I should note that my tank has no substrate and no inhabitants other than 3 adult axolotls and some very large decorations (a cave and two coconut shells they like hanging out in), so I don't think she could have swallowed something bad.

Treatments I've seen suggested online:
1. Fridging with daily water changes, should help her bowel movements
2. Absolutely don't fridge, it's very dangerous!! Just separate her and do water changes
3. Separate her and also add some chilled black tea to her water
4. Don't add black tea, it's nonsense! Instead add dried catappa leaves or extract (which I also couldn't find in my country)

Meanwhile, I've placed her in a "boat" made from a plastic tub that's floating in the larger tank, since I don't have another way of isolating her while still keeping her water cold... Here are some photos:
PXL_20201101_133504471.MP.jpg

PXL_20201101_134228442.MP.jpg

PXL_20201101_133526383.MP.jpg

In your case and with the severity of the veininess I would fridge but not below 8 degrees so adjust your fridge.
That veininess is indicative of a bacterial infection and the fridging slows down everything.
Yes do water changes on the tub with Seachem Prime once or twice a day.

Yes absolutely get a new test kit.

You may need a vet to get the proper antibiotics do not just throw random meds at your axo.

In your case and with the severity of the veininess I would fridge but not below 8 degrees so adjust your fridge.
That veininess is indicative of a bacterial infection and the fridging slows down everything.
Yes do water changes on the tub with Seachem Prime once or twice a day.

Yes absolutely get a new test kit.

You may need a vet to get the proper antibiotics do not just throw random meds at your axo.

Thanks for your answer, some followup questions:
I've read that fridging slows axolotls' metabolism and thus hurts their ability to fight infections, wouldn't this be harmful here?

When changing the water, should I use tank water or fresh water? (and yes I do have seachem prime, though it would be hard to measure the 0.1-ml amount I'd need for such a small quantity of water)

You mentioned antibiotics - like I said, I couldn't find a single vet in my country who works with axolotls... Despite my reluctance to rely on them, is there some alternative treatment that could work (like the black tea option)?

Fridging is actually vet recommended here in Canada for infections to slow the infection. Again 8 degrees is the key.

Always use fresh clean prime treated water - its approximately 1-2 drops per gallon. I use a 3mL and 1mL syringe from a pharmacy to dose my Prime to make it easy.

If you want to try any possible home remedies - I would do Methylene Blue and Johns solution. Black Tea and IAL help with soothing and slime coat but not really anti-infective.

Can you buy antibiotics in your Country? We cannot anymore.

Thanks for your answer, some followup questions:
I've read that fridging slows axolotls' metabolism and thus hurts their ability to fight infections, wouldn't this be harmful here?

When changing the water, should I use tank water or fresh water? (and yes I do have seachem prime, though it would be hard to measure the 0.1-ml amount I'd need for such a small quantity of water)

You mentioned antibiotics - like I said, I couldn't find a single vet in my country who works with axolotls... Despite my reluctance to rely on them, is there some alternative treatment that could work (like the black tea option)?

Hi all,

My precious axolotl Kirby has been floating uncontrollably (as in, can't swim down even if she tries) for the last 4 days.
After reading a bit about this, I'm thinking she might be constipated, since she hadn't pooped or eaten much in this time.
She's also showing many veins, and I'm not sure what this means...

I've seen lots of conflicting information online, and I'm very confused about how to help her. Unfortunately I couldn't find a single vet in my country (Israel) who's familiar with axolotls, so I'd appreciate help... It's worth noting that Kirby's two tank mates seem just fine.

I checked the tank parameters (nitrite, nitrate and ammonia), they seem fine (though I also noticed my API testing kits have expired, and have ordered new ones). My water is currently at 17 degrees C (62.6 F). Also I should note that my tank has no substrate and no inhabitants other than 3 adult axolotls and some very large decorations (a cave and two coconut shells they like hanging out in), so I don't think she could have swallowed something bad.

Treatments I've seen suggested online:
1. Fridging with daily water changes, should help her bowel movements
2. Absolutely don't fridge, it's very dangerous!! Just separate her and do water changes
3. Separate her and also add some chilled black tea to her water
4. Don't add black tea, it's nonsense! Instead add dried catappa leaves or extract (which I also couldn't find in my country)

Meanwhile, I've placed her in a "boat" made from a plastic tub that's floating in the larger tank, since I don't have another way of isolating her while still keeping her water cold... Here are some photos:
View attachment 85858
View attachment 85860
View attachment 85859
how are you allowed to own axolotls in Israel?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back