Floating baby axolotl-Help please

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very new to this so please, bare with me here. I just recently acquired a very small leucistic axolotl. Maybe 2 inches long. I transitioned the little one today to an uncycled tank as I really had no choice. Tubbing was not realistic in my household, so I had to do the best I could with an uncycled tank. My local aquarium store had no cycled media to give me to help cycle the tank. Currently using seachem stability and prime. I completed my first water change today prior to transitioning him to the tank, about 75% of the water. The tank had been running for about 3-4 days prior to acquiring this little guy. Water parameters are as follows:

ammonia-.25 trying to control this with the water changes daily
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-5.0
Ph-7.6
Temperature-20 degrees

I currently have him in a small Tupperware container in a dark area. He has not eaten since I got him this morning. No matter how hard he tries, he cannot swim to the bottom of the tank. He continues to rise to the surface. He does swim and move around, but stays at the top. Seems to be slightly lethargic? I’m not sure as I have zero experience with these creatures, only the research I have done prior to getting him so I don’t mess this up. Is he dying? What should I do in this situation with such a tiny axolotl? Please help. Photo provided of him just floating there.

Attachments

• 3C15D992-8ADD-44B6-AAB0-94208E1696F9.jpeg
    3C15D992-8ADD-44B6-AAB0-94208E1696F9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 217
I remember when I first got my axolotl, I was so panicked and scared he was going to drop dead and I didn't know what to do. It's a scary feeling!
Luckily, most of this is new-parent stress, and he should be okay. While it is a bummer that your tank isn't cycled, it shouldn't be that big of a problem if you monitor water parameters and do daily water changes. Baby axolotls sometimes swallow air and float up to the surface, where they get a bit bloated and struggle to get down. He could be constipated as well. Not eating is also pretty normal, especially if you just got him and are changing him around in tubs and tanks.
Uncycled tanks aren't poisonous to axolotls, you just have watch them carefully as they can and will eventually spike in nitrates and stuff. I would keep him in his tank, as it might be less stressful for him right now. Offer him food by dropping it directly in front of him (You could even use tongs, or try to hand feed).
Wait it out, watch him closely, and he should be fine. If he poops, that's a really good sign, and make sure to monitor the water, because an uncycled tank isn't ideal for an axoltol.
The last thing you could do is buy a cycle-boosting solution (You would probably have the best chance with Amazon), and put that in the tank. If you do that though, I wouldn't keep him in the tank, keep him in a Tupperware instead (reasonably big, with room for him to move up and down so you can monitor his floating problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I did just get him this morning. His gills seems a little curled, indicating stress of some sort but I assume my frazzling him from a tub and poking him slightly to make sure he was alive didn’t please him too much. I purchased frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. I have been dozing stability according to the instructions, and prime for new water. I have cold water in the fridge for water changes to maintain the proper temperature. Only things in the tank are two live Anubias plants, and a small log hide. Not in direct sunlight, and the water seems to be maintaining temp properly. I’ve been testing the parameters like crazy. I do tend to worry, especially with such a tiny thing. I want to do right by him. Not eating is less concerning to me than the float and inactivity.

I was able to get a somewhat clear photo of his little underbelly. Not sure what is what to be honest lol, but perhaps someone else might? I have seen him expel a bubble here and there, but hasn’t done anything for the floating issue at this point. I want to give him time, but I also want to do this right and not make a big mistake in the process!

Attachments

• C186BF8F-7001-48EE-80E5-7E2A197A3D3A.jpeg
    C186BF8F-7001-48EE-80E5-7E2A197A3D3A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 123
Believe me, I understand. The first day I got my axie, I was shocked by how small he was and every little thing freaked me out.
I've read that bloodworms aren't the best staple food for axolotls, and he might not be eating because he is used to eating something else and needs some time to adjust. It's also possible that the pieces aren't small enough and he can't swallow them whole like he needs to. I personally feed Oaki axolotl pellets, which aren't expensive and don't go bad or need to be frozen (plus axolotls really seem to love them). It sounds like you are doing everything right, make small adjustments if you need to, and trust yourself. :)

The picture looks like he may be a bit constipated, which also would explain him not wanting to eat. Look at the size and shape of his stomach to see if there is an odd bulge...if not, there's absolutely nothing to worry about. If there is, he should be fine (Don't freak out), but you may have to monitor him more closely.

It looked to me like he may be a bit stopped up as well. Should I consider putting him in the fridge at this point or give him a little time to acclimate? I’ve been religiously checking on him every 10-20 minutes or so. He’s usually in a different spot floating, and will occasionally try to drag himself down to the bottom. I lowered his water level as much as possible for the filter to remain running. Thank you for all your help! They’re so interesting! I wish I could’ve started correctly fully cycled, but I had no option. He wouldn’t have survived his former conditions.

I would wait a day or two before fridging him, it may not be necessarily and likely would stress him out. Give him time to pass it on his own! Duty will call eventually 🙂

Thank you for all of your help! I saw him expel another bubble, but no poop yet. I’m not stressing on feeding him at this point. I’ll get used to it but surely, it can be scary with such little cute guys. Fridging I will use as a last resort.

This morning he has been at the bottom non stop. I can now visibly see little bubbles in his tummy but not having any trouble staying down! He didn’t eat again this morning, although I’m not super stressed about that at the moment. I’ll try some other food options before I freak out. His gills are nice and straight and twitchy, tail is straight, and he seems to be quite happy! I was so happy to see him swimming around the tank ❤️ Thank you for all the help!

This morning he has been at the bottom non stop. I can now visibly see little bubbles in his tummy but not having any trouble staying down! He didn’t eat again this morning, although I’m not super stressed about that at the moment. I’ll try some other food options before I freak out. His gills are nice and straight and twitchy, tail is straight, and he seems to be quite happy! I was so happy to see him swimming around the tank ❤ Thank you for all the help!
I'm so happy he's doing better! Send him my love!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back