floating?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ren
my darling mudkip has started floating quite a bit. theyve had several rather messy bowel movements within the past 24 hours of floating, and i’m concerned for them. they seem like they can’t swim to the bottom even when they try ;(

my darling mudkip has started floating quite a bit. theyve had several rather messy bowel movements within the past 24 hours of floating, and i’m concerned for them. they seem like they can’t swim to the bottom even when they try ;(
Post photos, please. Get them in a tub long enough for them to turn in but lower the water.

Post photos, please. Get them in a tub long enough for them to turn in but lower the water.
currently at school, but i will when i get home. she seems somewhat better now but is still refusing food

sorry i didnt reply, i had an emergency on friday and was unable to preform basic actions until sunday. here are some pictures of her - she’s struggling to stay down and i worry she’s constipated. sorry if my grammar or anything is off, i’m still not doing very well. parameters are fine - in a 10 gallon with a 20 long on the way (it’s taking ages, i know she deserves at least 20)
image.jpg

here’s her floating
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
better pic. she does this a lot
image.jpg

Hi,
I frequently have this problem (I mean : my axies have...) when they are in an aquarium without light, and never when there is a light. I don't see well if your tank has a light above.

The last time I saw this, it was a batch of 4 axies in a big tub with some Egeria densa. I then put this tub outside in my garden, under a tree (not full sun) and, within one day, they recovered.

Except this floating problem, your axie seems healthy

Hi,
I frequently have this problem (I mean : my axies have...) when they are in an aquarium without light, and never when there is a light. I don't see well if your tank has a light above.

The last time I saw this, it was a batch of 4 axies in a big tub with some Egeria densa. I then put this tub outside in my garden, under a tree (not full sun) and, within one day, they recovered.

Except this floating problem, your axie seems healthy
he has light, its just covered by the tank lid. she’s always lived in these conditions and has done fine. i’m relived to hear she looks healthy otherwise - the main worry i have is that she’s going to burn her skin when it’s exposed to the airm when she floats her dorsal side is exposed to the air (out of the water)

he has light, its just covered by the tank lid. she’s always lived in these conditions and has done fine. i’m relived to hear she looks healthy otherwise - the main worry i have is that she’s going to burn her skin when it’s exposed to the airm when she floats her dorsal side is exposed to the air (out of the water)
she looks fat and healthy. Her gills also look good. If she is eating and pooping normally, I wouldnt be too concerned. One of my females floats around her tank for fun. She likes to play in the filter current like a complete weirdo, but it's normal for her.

Occasionally, i'll see floating like that with internal parasites or a bacterial infection, but I don't see any indicators here that would suggest those things. It can also happen if you've had a temperature spike in your tank and the water has gotten a bit warm. If you're still concerned about it, you could try tubbing her for a couple days with cold fresh water changed daily and see if her behavior changes.

she looks fat and healthy. Her gills also look good. If she is eating and pooping normally, I wouldnt be too concerned. One of my females floats around her tank for fun. She likes to play in the filter current like a complete weirdo, but it's normal for her.

Occasionally, i'll see floating like that with internal parasites or a bacterial infection, but I don't see any indicators here that would suggest those things. It can also happen if you've had a temperature spike in your tank and the water has gotten a bit warm. If you're still concerned about it, you could try tubbing her for a couple days with cold fresh water changed daily and see if her behavior changes.
good to know, there has been a bit of a temperature spike lately, oklahoma heat and such. she has a fan blowing over her tank 24/7, and isn’t often in the sun

That's one very plump axie. Meanwhile, it's not the floating that would concern me - many lotls like to float (they're weird) - but the fact that you say she can't seem to swim to the bottom even when she tries. Is that still happening? If so, I'd follow GulfCoastAxolotl's advice.

That's one very plump axie. Meanwhile, it's not the floating that would concern me - many lotls like to float (they're weird) - but the fact that you say she can't seem to swim to the bottom even when she tries. Is that still happening? If so, I'd follow GulfCoastAxolotl's advice.
she’s better now, she’s no longer floating as much. she doesn’t struggle to the bottom anymore either

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back