Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floaty alpine shrimp

deedee71

Reaction score
Hi

My alpine newt just floats about. Occasionally I see her struggle to the bottom of the tank, but not often. She is usually climbing the glass or just floating.

I thought it was bloat at first but she doesn't seem puffed up.

Could it be poor water quality? I have neocardinia shrimp and they are fine...

What things do I need to look at in order to improve her condition please?

Thanks in advance

Dee

Ps ten gallon tank with bog wood, plenty of Java fern and elodea and tonnes of pesky duckweed. Corner filter operated by air pump to give a steady stream of bubbles, not too noisy. Sand substrate.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If she's otherwise healthy, floating like that is sometimes caused by constipation, what is she eating?
I doubt it's a chemistry problem, but if it's a mature system and the shrimp are fine, water quality should be reasonable, but you should be at least testing it for nitrate from time to time.

deedee71

Reaction score
Hi china dog. I have been feeding bloodworm, frozen. I tried her with a worm and was unsuccessful.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Constipation is most common with animals that are fed dry food, how long has she been this way? Maybe a trip to a vet with experience with amphibians to check for parasites would be a good idea.
The bloodworms are very lacking in minerals like calcium and can cause problems if fed often for extended periods. I find the best way of weaning stubborn newts onto earthworms is to just offer the tail ends to begin with. If you make sure she's pretty hungry when trying, she might be in more of a mood to try something new.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1