Food advice I would rather not google

CLC33

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I was curious if any of you have ever fed your lotls vinegar eels or silkworm pupae? I am trying to find something more to their diet as they're addicted to night crawlers yet don't seem seem be too terribly interested in much else except black fly larvae and at times but rarely dried shrimp. It has been difficult to find a food they can "feed" themselves and whether it sinks or floats unless I hand feed them they won't really touch it and they're still a bit young however not quite young enough to be so dependent on hand feeding, thinking maybe I spoiled them too much? New owner so I am not very sure. All advice,tips, etc. Are very much needed and appreciated thanks so much 😊

Hello everyone,
I was curious if any of you have ever fed your lotls vinegar eels or silkworm pupae? I am trying to find something more to their diet as they're addicted to night crawlers yet don't seem seem be too terribly interested in much else except black fly larvae and at times but rarely dried shrimp. It has been difficult to find a food they can "feed" themselves and whether it sinks or floats unless I hand feed them they won't really touch it and they're still a bit young however not quite young enough to be so dependent on hand feeding, thinking maybe I spoiled them too much? New owner so I am not very sure. All advice,tips, etc. Are very much needed and appreciated thanks so much 😊
Earthworms/nightcralwers are the most nutritionally balanced food option for axolotls. Pellets and repashy grub pie are good secondary options. If you're looking for an animal you don't have to hand feed, axolotls are not that animal. They don't have the best eyesight and food should never just be left in their tank for them to find. All that does is pollute the water. Feeding your axololt is really some of the only interaction you can have with them so I'm not sure why you'd want to give that up anyway.

You're quite rude and I never stated I wanted to give that up however if you would like to know an answer to what you so just asked in such a biased and condescending manner,my grandfather just passed away and I would like to know that they're going to have something around in the event I'm unable to be home at feeding time. You didn't answer my question and what you gave me isn't something I would consider advice seeing as it was rude which is not helpful at all. I specifically asked something. Your reply not answer was not relevant due to its rudeness.

CLC33, the answer given by GulfCoastAxolotls was a polite and sincere attempt to help you . It’s fine if you don’t agree, but be aware that the only rude party in this conversation is you.
If you’re going to be a jerk whenever someone answers your questions, maybe it’s best if you just figure it out for yourself. I recommend trial and error.

Maybe I took it hurtful rather than helpful as I am obviously hurting,but thank you

You're quite rude and I never stated I wanted to give that up however if you would like to know an answer to what you so just asked in such a biased and condescending manner,my grandfather just passed away and I would like to know that they're going to have something around in the event I'm unable to be home at feeding time. You didn't answer my question and what you gave me isn't something I would consider advice seeing as it was rude which is not helpful at all. I specifically asked something. Your reply not answer was not relevant due to its rudeness.
I did not mean to offend you and I am sorry to hear of your loss. I did, however, answer your question. There arent really any "leave in the tank and let them be" food options for axololts that are nutritional balanced and wont pollute the tank and/or have the potential to carry parasites into your tank. That is the risk you take with most live aquatic food sources and it is not one I would recommend. Fortunately, healthy, well fed axolotls are able to go a little while without food so if you are not around for a couple days, that is ok.

Hello,
I'm a bit surprised by what I'm reading here.
So axolotls wouldn't be able to find and catch themselves some food (dead or alive) just left down in their tank ?

To (partly) answer the first question, here examples of live food I've been giving my axies for the last 19 years :
- nightcrawlers
- little slugs
- little snails (without shell)
- Gammarus (but I wont propose them again because they seem to irritate axolotls)
- woodlice
- adult crane flies (genus Tipula)

I use pellets only in case of long-time lack of live food (mainly in summer).

I always see my axies find themselves their food, either detecting movements, or by olfaction.
Even an eyeless axolotl can find itself food (the lateral line helps a lot)

Hello,
I'm a bit surprised by what I'm reading here.
So axolotls wouldn't be able to find and catch themselves some food (dead or alive) just left down in their tank ?

To (partly) answer the first question, here examples of live food I've been giving my axies for the last 19 years :
- nightcrawlers
- little slugs
- little snails (without shell)
- Gammarus (but I wont propose them again because they seem to irritate axolotls)
- woodlice
- adult crane flies (genus Tipula)

I use pellets only in case of long-time lack of live food (mainly in summer).

I always see my axies find themselves their food, either detecting movements, or by olfaction.
Even an eyeless axolotl can find itself food (the lateral line helps a lot)
My hesitance in suggesting any quick breeding live foods like snails is that I've seen populations quickly overrun smaller tanks. Im not saying axolotls can't find food on there own, because they usually can. I'll let mine hunt their worms for themselves at times, but anything not eaten within about 30 mins is removed. My recommendation is based more on the fact that axolotls don't have to be fed daily and that missing a feeding time is not a big deal and not to stress about finding food sources for those rare occasions when really the best nutrition for them is earthworms/nightcrawlers anyway. Many live aquatic foods do pose a risk of carrying parasites as well so unless they're being sourced from fishless breeding tanks, I just dont see the point in risking that unnecessarily.

Last edited:
My hesitance in suggesting any quick breeding live foods like snails
I should have said : small terrestrial snails without their shell.

You may be right when you warn about parasitic risks with aquatic food.
Personally, I feed hatchlings with wild-caught daphnia from temporary ponds in spring, and then switch with little nightcrawlers as soon as possible.
(I sometimes use frozen bloodworms (Chironomus) but this dead food really makes a lot of pollution)

I should have said : small terrestrial snails without their shell.

You may be right when you warn about parasitic risks with aquatic food.
Personally, I feed hatchlings with wild-caught daphnia from temporary ponds in spring, and then switch with little nightcrawlers as soon as possible.
(I sometimes use frozen bloodworms (Chironomus) but this dead food really makes a lot of pollution)
agreed. I raise my own microworms, daphnia and blackworms for hatchlings since there aren't that many trustworthy sources for these here in the states.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back