Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food, Daphnia and Axolotl Juvies

mikeg

Reaction score
So i have a daphnia culture going for about a month now but i am getting in trouble for the smell that bacteria and green water leave in my basment..... in my opinion its not a very dominant smell but my parents hate it/

My question is i was at the LFS today to get some brine shrimp to feed my axie juvies a variety of life food and i say powered food for brineshrimp called "Artemia Food" it has lots ingredients i recognized when researching what to feed daphnia. Is this food good for daphnia? and will it pass on as much nutrients to my axies as green water or bacteria water when they eat the daphnia?

if not then il just try to culture brine shrimp

Attachments

• IMG_00000587.jpg
    IMG_00000587.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_00000589.jpg
    IMG_00000589.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 763

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I feed my daphnia crushed goldfish flakes and have had success for a few years culturing magna. I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets in the yard. That way no smell and room for more animals. You will probably just end up paying more for Artemia Food. Your axies should be off of Daphnia in the first two weeks anyway. Time for chopped black worms, earthworms, and white worms with no smell or green water.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I also keep my daphnia is 5gallons in the yard. Even in the house there is no smell though in mine. I don't feed an "bacteria water" which would just increase any smell your parents are smelling.

I do add in turtle water, green water, as well as active yeast every now and then.
I keep bladder snails in the culture as well to keep up on the algae that sits on the bottom.

mikeg

Reaction score
The package cost me $2 the guy at the store told me his last for over a year feeding his shrimp.

I culture them in a 5 gallon tank with black worms, il try the crushed gold fish flakes i am going to need a alternative food for when winter come along later this year anyways

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1