Question: Food Farm Thingy? (I don't know what they are called)

Tjebb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possible to give my axolotl feeder fish and have them breed and he eats them as they produce? So like a farm thingy? What could I "farm" for him? What do you guys do? And can they be in the same tank or no?

My wording is kinda off, I am sorry.

Also, what do you guys recommend to feed an axolotl. Right now Dollar is on a diet of axolotl pellets, mealworms, and bloodworms. The mealworms are a rare treat, and I take the head off, don't worry.

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.

Tjebb

Reaction score
Country
United States
You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.
Thanks! So I won't have the space, as I don't have a big enough tank. Is there any diet you recommend for axolotls? If it is possible to farm worms, that would be nice. I'll look into that, and see if I could do it.
Thank you for the help!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
You can set up a nightcrawler worm farm, it's the best diet for axolotls. I don't live in the same country as you but you can usually buy worm farm kits. It also gives you worm juice which is great if you have a garden/plants. Stay away from red wrigglers if you can, some people don't have issues but axolotls will often refuse them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned. +1