Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food for my Axie?

DragonGirl

Reaction score
So, I've had my axolotl for almost a month now and hes doing great. I've been feeding him frozen krill every day. I give him a chunk about the size of a penny, and remove any leftovers after about an hour (though he usually eats it all.) anyway, the other night I fed him and forgot to put the krill back in the freezer. needless to say I woke up to find rotten krill sitting out...

I plan to go pick him up some more soon, but the weather is just starting to get bad and i'm not sure if i'll be able to go tonight. So, I'm thinking chances are he'll have to go tonight without food, but I was wondering, is there anything you can find in a typical grocery store that you could feed an axololt once or twice? At the college here they have a small convenience store area that I could go get something from if I have to. I also have bacon and I've been wondering if he would be able to eat that as a treat or in an emergency, but I haven't wanted to try it until I did some research. Anyway, some help would be appreciated!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I buy my night crawlers at walmart in the fishing/sporting section. Usually I get their Canadian Nightcrawlers or if they have them Dillies(baby canadian crawlers). I just have to open them up before purchasing to check for fungus.

DragonGirl

Reaction score
I've heard nightcrawlers or earthworms (which are kind of the same thing aren't they?) work really well. I just haven't really had a chance to get any. My main problem is the roads are getting icy here so I might not be able to go to the store until tomorrow. So I guess a better phrasing for my question is: Is there any human food that could be fed to my axolotl?

Cacique

Reaction score
How big is your axolotl? How much and how often does he/she eat? Your axie would most likely be fine until tomorrow since they don't need to eat daily unless young and growing up. If you know for sure that no pesticides are used around your yard you could try to dig out some worms and see if he would take them, but they don't seem fond of red wrigglers.

DragonGirl

Reaction score
He's about 5-6 inches long. I feed him everyday except on the occasional weekend when I'm not here then he misses a day. So I'm sure he cold miss a day, but Im just kind of curious in case I can't make it to the store or this happens again

DragonGirl

Reaction score
I went to the store and got him some more food, but I'm still curious if anyone knows of any human food that can be fed to them in a pinch (like bacon?)

Cacique

Reaction score
I would imagine freshwater fish, just plain. I would think that would be the safest bet. I've read of people feeding things like beef heart but it is a much different food to what it would be eating in nature, so some people don't like it. I myself like to stick to earth worms, preferably night crawlers (his preference, not mine lol) and Hikari carnivore sinking pellets, the Massivore would also work. You would have to drop these so they'll land right on or around their nose and they snatch them up.

I find it harder to feed the pellets, unsure of how many to give him since he used to push himself and then throw up. With the worms, one the length of their bodies (without the tail) is enough to satisfy them, or most axolotls anyways.

keiko

Reaction score
Fresh water fish is fine. My axies love it so I usually buy a fillet, cut it into portions and then stuck those in the freezer. Then I just take out a piece, let it defrost in some water and feed it to the axie. But that doesn't contain all the nutrients they need so it shouldn't be fed all the time. I wouldn't recommend any red meats or chicken etc. because it is so different from what they would eat in the wild. And bacon is definitely too fatty for them, not to mention if it's salted or smoked.
Earth worms or pellets are the best staple food for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1