Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food Options for juvi axolotls

MrsMamaRae

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have 3 new babies all about 3 inches, a purple, copper, and leucistic. I have been feeding them Frozen bloodworms cubes and soft pellets that I purchased from the breeder. I'm hoping to get ideas on nutritious Foods and names of pellets y'all use so I can purchase more when I run out. Thank you in advance!

Eternie

Reaction score
How exciting!!! :)
I use for pellets, are the Reptomin floating sticks, you just kinda gotta hand feed it to them, or try to catch their eyesight when they come up for some air. You can also chop up some Earthworms (Nitecrawlers specifically) and feed it to them, earthworms are the best thing they can eat, just buy them off of amazon, because catching them outside you can't guarantee they are pesticide free. Then you can start a wormery, which is a lot cheaper than paying $30 for food when you run out.
Enjoy your new babies, they sound lovely :)

Mkhenderson17

Reaction score
That's exciting! I just got mine last month. They are about the size of yours (hatched out in February). I originally got two but then I got my large aquarium set up so I got another from the same breeder. They are all from the same clutch but there is a noticeable difference in size between the ones I got first and the one I got two weeks later. She feed blood worms. I feed night crawlers and regular earth worms I find on my mom's farm when I go to visit. After just two weeks of a different diet, I defiantly think earthworms and night crawlers are the best way to go with them. Plus they are much cheaper than the blood worms! :)

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
When I first got my lotls I just hand fed them bloodworms. I took a cube, thawed it, then wriggled the worms in front of their faces. They seemed to like it. They were about four inches long at the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!