Question: Found an injured juvenile T. granulosa, need advice! ( NOTICE: some of the following photos may be disturbing to some veiwers! )

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
NOTICE: Some of the following photos may be disturbing to some viewers!

So today while walking my dog I found a juvenile T. granulosa that's tail was squished. It is split down the middle from about the cloaca area to about a cm down. His tail and legs appear to be imperiled.
I put him in a small tub with about half an inch of water and a cork float and some elodea.

I am need advice! I don't know what I should do next! I will try and feed him small worms and the usual fair, but I don't know if he'll eat, and I don't know if I have him in the right setup. I also don't know if I should do some sort of treatment or something.

Please help me help this poor little newt!

-Seth

Attachments

• P1140735.jpg
    P1140735.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 248
  • P1140736.jpg
    P1140736.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 250
  • P1140739.jpg
    P1140739.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 261
Here's an update.

He is acting quite normal! He is walking around the little container and I think that his back legs might be working....not sure though. His tail really is quite a mess, I don't know how well it will heal, or if it will heal much at all.
But I did see some spots of blood, two little spots, so not a lot, but still, I am a bit worried.

I named him "fighter" for rather obvious reasons.

Anyone know anything that could help this little guy!? -Seth

I think you could do with a vet's opinion, It looks like it may be in to amputation territory? Having said that, it's amazing what they can recover from sometimes! When I kept Axolotls I would rescue them from garden centres and pet stores where they'd been kept with fish or turtles, some were in horrific shape but they would nearly always bounce back in a few weeks. Perhaps just keep water quality perfect to minimise the chance of infection and see how it goes? Sorry I can't be more helpful, I hope he makes it! :)

Personally, I would euthanize him. I think that would be kinder than keeping him in captivity for weeks to see if he heals. That injury looks like he got run over by a car and he might have more serious internal problems.

I think you should give him a chance at life first. Give it a day or two and see if he eats and if he is looking better.

Poor little thing :(

If he eats and moves around OK, I'd give him a chance. You could try some antibiotic ointment on the tail perhaps; see in caudata culture, I know you are familiar with that.

Thank you all for the advice and ideas!

Today he is not very active. He has just been sitting on a elodea plant, doing nothing. It doesn't look to good right now, unfortunately.

@ Chinadog. I will try and talk to a vet. Yah, when I first saw him I thought maybe it should be amputated. Should I do that you think?

@ Slowfoot. Ugh. I really don't want to have to do that, but if you think its necessary I will. Yes, it was ran over by a car, almost positive. But I don't think it ran over its whole body, just the tail.

@ Otterwomen. OK, thanks for the suggestion, and yes, I am quite familiar with CC ;)

I'll keep you guys updated. -Seth

Judging by the photos it seems like the hind limbs are affected which might mean that the hip is damaged? If that´s the case i agree with Slowfoot that euthanasia would be the best course of action. Recovery from a shattered hip would not be possible and it almost certainly would mean sustained pain and suffering for the animal.
If, however, the hip is unscathed which appears to be the case if we go by where the wound begins, then recovery would be technically possible, in which case i think it would be legitimate to give the animal a chance. However, the cloaca might be affected and that could imply a whole lot of problems by itself.
I don´t think a car ran over this newt, the wound is too localized and a car would have squashed everything below the wound into oblivion. More likely a rock that fell on it, perhaps?

It would be useful if you could upload a video of the animal to see how it moves and acts.

I was guessing a bike or motorcycle ran it over ;) If it's back legs and cloaca are undamaged then surely it deserves a chance? I've seen wild L. vulgaris that have obviously recovered from injuries at least as bad as that at some time in their life.

Recently after I posted the last post I went down stairs to check him. He was motionless. He hadn't moved for hours. He was alive, but lifeless ( if you know what I mean ). He was obviously not going to make it, and I didn't want him to suffer. I decided it was the best thing to do.
I decided enough was enough, so I euthanized him. I berried him next two other newts that I have passed or I have had to euthanize in the past. God rest his soul.

@ Azhael. What you say about him not getting squished makes sense. But I don't think it was a rock, cause he was on the road where there are no rocks. I am honestly a bit concerned that it was my sister :( She went jogging just before I found him, and unfortunately I have seen joggers squish newts before, apparently unaware that they are there.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions! Even though he didn't make it, I still appreciate the fact that you all were willing to help.

-Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back