Freaky bug in my tank?

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Country
United States
So today I noticed a freaky looking aquatic bug in my tank and it had babies... I have no idea how it could have gotten in there. And to my dismay my newts were enjoying the babies as a snack. My questions are what is it?! And is it dangerous? Luckily I was able to catch it and take pictures!
Thanks- Heidi
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413997419.543520.jpg

Looks liks a type of drangofly larvae. Very dangeous to small newts and larvae but great food for bigger adult newts like T. karelini. You must have had eggs come in on a plant or left your window open. I would remove it. It can still bite your larger newts.

Drangofly? Not dragonfly? I'm a little confused if the giant thing I found was the larvae and the adult is not an aquatic creature because it was surrounded by lots of tiny ones. How do you recommend I remove all the baby ones (it could possibly be hundreds?) do I need to empty out my tank and start from scratch?

So some more information here, the bugs were found in my juvenile newts tank and I spotted another the size of one of my newts so I quickly set up a temporary tank. Will 2.5 gallons be okay for 2 tiny juvenile newts for a few days while I finish decontaminating their normal tank (ugh time to cycle again). I don't want to risk my newts getting injured so I've taken everything out including the water, sand, plants. My next question is how do I effectively kill off any remaining eggs or bugs on my plants ? Or do you think it would be best for me to start over and buy new plants?

Yes I think the juveniles would be ok in a 2.5 gallon for a bit while you make adjustments.

You can kill most of the bugs and eggs on your plants by letting them sit in salt water for a little bit. Not too long though, no more than 5 minutes. After you remove the plants from the salt water rinse them in fresh water thoroughly. This should get rid of most of the bugs, but a few may prevail. -Seth

Thanks everyone for all the help! I think I got the last of the bugs hopefully. Unfortunately I've decided to throw away all my plants because I think they were the source of the bugs (I don't leave my window open and I have a lid on my tank). So one last question here, where do you guys buy your live plants from? Id like to find a reliable source for replacements.

I have a couple plants from Petsmart: an Amazon Sword, some time of grass, bacopa, and a couple sprigs of anacharis. I also bought a bunch of anacharis from a pond nursery.

A note on salt baths for soaking plants. Do not use iodized salt (table salt). You need at least kosher salt. Mix the salt in with hot water and soak them for a couple of minutes and then rinse them with fresh water.

I did this with the anacharis I bought from the nursery since they kept it in outdoor ponds. The half I dipped hasn't shown any snails or bugs. The half I didn't dip went into another tank with some tadpoles I got from the same nursery, and that tank currently has several snails growing, so dipping definitely works.

The packaged plants from Petsmart are snail-free, so you shouldn't have to dip them. I'd only bother if you bought plants that were already in their own tanks.

Thanks for the tips, I went to petsmart today and picked up an amazon sword and did the salt dip on it. So far it looks fantastic, keeping my fingers crossed for no more unwelcome visitors! I'm still searching for some good java fern or something nice to possibly cover the bottom and maybe one more large plant .

My guy loves sitting in the amazon sword plant.
B0q60b6CQAA24AU.jpg

Mix the salt in with hot water and soak them for a couple of minutes and then rinse them with fresh water.

Make sure though that the water isn't too hot, or it could kill the plants. Also, why not use iodized salt?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back