Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Freeze dried medley for JFB newts?

Reaction score
I bought my newt a freeze dried cricket, brine shrimp and mealworm medley that is meant for turtles. Can I feed him this? I intend on dusting it with multivitamins supplements as well. Thanks

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
They aren't very nutritious either way, I find it to be more disgusting than live food. I don't see an issue with eating it unless they are very hard, but chopped or small whole worm should make up the staple diet

AuSu

Reaction score
I had some dried crickets from pet shop sale to make some difference in winter feeding (when here's no live food available) but at least our JFBN's abandoned them. The crickets seemed really hard and even left in the water for a while, no one was interested. But maybe you have better luck! I'm so happy spring is early (usually I love snow and cold but since newts, I can appreciate this non-Finnish weather, too :) and I can go digging in the garden!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
In the US, you can easily find worms for sale for a cheap price. I get mine from walmart's fishing section, I usually get their baby nightcrawler, but ill get the regular ones if they're out of them

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those kinds of freeze dried things are no good in the long term, not for turtles or newts. As Aaron says nightcrawlers are normally easy to buy over there, much easier than here! If they aren't available where you are, properly formulated amphibian pellets are great as a staple, even better if you can supplement them with worms as and when they are available.

crawdaddy

Reaction score
Most newts wont even touch dried foods. If you can't get live food in the winter, try getting some frozen bloodworms, or raising worms yourself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!