Frills and legs

Phoenix2016

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I’m reposting this because I’m not sure I put it in the right place below:

Good morning! I’m constantly worried about my new juvenile named D’Artagnon. He eats ok, but I’m not sure he is pooping. He is friendly and social much of the time, but not always (I’m sure that is fine). His water runs a little cold (59), but I check the parameters every couple days and they have always been spot on. I have changed the water out carefully twice, and checked for good parameters again. He has fine sand in his tank. I feed him bloodworms with tweezers, and he comes when he sees them out. He occasionally eats very small pieces of earthworms, but sometimes spits them back out. Every couple days I give him some freeze dried brine shrimp.

All this to see if anyone knows why his frills might be forward? Sometimes it seems they are very far forward, but they are still fluffy looking, and every time I think maybe his tail is curled he moves and it straightens out like it was just not quite out of the way of a plant or something.

I thought he was in low enough light, and he doesn’t really use his hides, but now I’m not sure. He is in my living room but sort of tucked into a cubbie with no direct light, and I keep that corner window with the thick blinds closed.

Now, this morning his back legs are straight out to the sides. Is that a bad sign??

Do you think he is ok? Am I doing something wrong? This picture shows him when they are not as far forward, but is t he adorable??
9FE51C51-6FE9-407C-A12B-2B0DF4187629.jpeg
9E56EF8D-DD8F-4331-A355-063B13DAE2AF.jpeg
1347816C-BCBE-43CB-9C8C-A64056EFF419.jpeg

Gills in the pictures look fine.

Ditch the freeze dried. If you can feed him frozen brine shrimp instead, that's better. Dried food has all the nutrients sucked out.

That's the only correction I'd make. He might be picky which is why he might spit out the earthworms.

Other than that, everything seems fine. If you could get the exact water parameters, that would also help.

59F is on the lower end but is by no means lethal. 10C (50F) is the low limit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back