Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frogs co-existing

• Thread starter Deleted member 38867
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38867

I am about to make my first pond it will be somewhere between 15-25' x 40-50'. It will have koi in it. Ive read that Frogs do not typically exist well with Turtles. I have seen examples of no problems however. I was wondering though with a pond of that size if it is likely the could co-exist if there were only a few of them? My main concern was that the pond will be too clean for the frogs liking. I was considering making a special section to their liking. My next concern is how high would i need fencing to keep them in?

Also how well would Frogs co-exist with Salamanders or Newts?

Thx from a Newbie!

Igneous

Reaction score
Most frogs will prey on salamanders. A lot depends on the size they are both at, and even if they won't eat them they will most likely disturb them. In nature they will definitly meet each other. But that doesn't mean that they always flourish together.

Fencing to keep them in is gowing to be hard. If the living conditions of your pond are good you won't ever need a fence, perhaps to keep them out.
So I'd focus on creating a pond that mimics their natural habitat and you'll be good to go.

D

Deleted member 38867

Im considering a variety of ambitious options..i may even have ducks. I was considering a pond that was sort of elongated and blocked off in sections thereby allowing certain critters their own little sections. Frogs may be the tough ones because they can jump! They are the likely first one's excluded if need be. I may not do the ducks either idk, just thinking about alot of stuff. Thx for the imput...

Igneous

Reaction score
Seems to me that you want to create your own little outdoor ecosystem! :D
Very cool idea, but in that case I'd start with creating a natural filter, the upside is that natural filters can maintain a balance in the pond much easier and also require less maintenance. You basicly create a shallow part with lot's of (swampy) plants that will filter the water for you. All you need is a pump that will get the water from the pond back up to the swampy part.
This part will be a great area for frogs or newts to thrive in, as long as the current isn't too strong.

The actual pond area can be a lot deeper which will allow fish to live in there. Small tadpoles that end up in this area will be preyed upon, but that's nature. If the natural filter is large enough, they should be fine and will try to stick to that. You can increase survivability by adding aquatic plants to the pond area. I'm not talking just lillies, I'm talking something like Hornwort for example which are not only great for small tadpoles to hide in, but also add oxygen to the water.
I'm no duck expert at all, but I believe that they like to look for food between plants like Hornwort. I've seen ducks return to small ponds in backyards to raise their offspring. But never seen them stay there. Perhaps if the pond is large enough they might. But they'll probably be the last you'll want to add to your ecosystem.

D

Deleted member 38867

Should i do it all im not exactly sure how i would do the pump in regards to the swampy part as you mentioned. Im exploring other options too such as limiting the Ducks to a certain part of the pond or even letting them have their own small pond. Its all up for discussion at the moment. Yes i plan on including alot of the proper plants, along with places to hide and such.

Igneous

Reaction score
iD3m0Gh85J4dsm9Tf1xV2fSl9PCzkc9umtOL1lc7od1kA10oYS6iKuQrmiPGpaEcLvNhsBKO5ijLgYANvtMLfLljkmSR5Hynz1wOHYorutrwODGYrlJ_YQ

This is a good example. On the left you see the pond with at the bottom a pump. The water is being pumped into the natural filter, the swampy area on the left. The water is being filtered by the plants and bacteria within the swamp before it flows back into the pond.

I haven't watched it completely (bit of a hurry atm.) but I think this video explains how it works pretty well:

D

Deleted member 38867

Its a bit confusing by the size and scope in the video but i think i get what your saying. I was thinking more in the way of the pond being a connected group of small pools. Ive got time before i am beginning the project so i will be doing lots of research. Thx for the Help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!