Frozen food

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
With frozen foods such as bloodworms and such do you taugh them before you put it in? Thanks
ufo.gif

i dont thaw my bloodworms. i cut them up into bite sized pieces and feed them with tweezers. by the time i get the worms to their mouths bloodworms are already coming off so its not that frozen anymore. i think your supposed to though

Back when my axies were small I just chopped off large chunks and pitched them into the tank - the gang would gather round and pull off what had thawed enough to float past their noses. Then I siphoned out the rest of the garbage. Always fun to watch!! I do thaw the beefheart in the fridge though before feeding.

Is it bad for them to eat frozen stuff? I feed my axolotl with those small squares of frozen beef heart. I cut it up into quarters and feed him that on the end of a kebab skewer. He goes nuts over that but seems to ignore anything lying on the ground.

I don't wait for it to thaw and he seems to like it well enough.

You should feed more than just frozen beef heart (if you aren't already) I know how hard it is in Perth to find good axie food and all thepet shops tell u to feed beef heart. I just got a tub of live crickets from Pet City that do the trick, buggers to catch though. Can't find earthworms here anywhere!!!

I tried to buy some earthworms today but no luck, the only thing they had was earth worm _farms_ and I'm not prepared to start a whole farm at the moment lol

I know I should feed him other things but so far the only alternative the pet shops have offered is liver.. and that's frozen as well. I'll keep looking!

Those axolotl pellets look really good, I might give them a go - but I was hoping to find some live food for my axie, not just pellets and frozen stuff :D

Try a bait shop if there is one around. If there is they will probably have nightcrawlers, which are earthworms. And, if you see them you might want to get some red wigglers (or red worms or a ton of other names) they look like small earthworms and some axies won't eat them from what I hear but they are my axies main food source and they are easy to feed.

Thanks for that, I'll try to find some. There's a place nearby that sells soils so I might try there and see if they have earthworms. Most likely what they will have is 'worm farms' but you never know, they might let me dig around :D

Veba's Aquariums in O'connor have live black worms, live crickets and heaps of pellets / frozen foods. No, I don't work there, they should pay me commission for all the times I recommend 'em
wink.gif

Mine has a varied diet, from live river shrimp, various other raw meat: (salmon,trout,turkey and small pinkies etc) to frozen bloodworm, which he loves - we let the block of it thaw at the top of the water then it falls in one big mass and it all gets eaten.

But smarty pants has learnt this and now swims up to the surface lol!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back