Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen Food

N

nathanael

Hey! Recently I bought a pack of frozen Silversides for my Mudpuppy, but I left them out overnight. I know this is really stupid, but could I still use them without harming the Mudpuppy? Thanks!

J

jennifer

Dead fish grow bacteria really quickly. On a fertile medium, overnight is enough for a single bacterium to produce a colony large enough to see with the naked eye. I think it would be a bad idea to use them.

trailsofslime

Reaction score
I work for a manufacturer of frozen fish foods for aquarium fish and this is what we recommend when frozen food thaws.

Use of Frozen Fish Food That Has Thawed

• You may safely refreeze some foods that still contain ice crystals and are cold to the touch or if they have been kept below 45 degrees F for no more than 2 hours. If the temperature is above 45 degrees F, THROW IT OUT!
Treat completely thawed foods as follows:
  • These foods are perishable. Do not refreeze thawed fish food. Spoilage may begin before bad odors develop and may be toxic. Refreeze fish food only if ice crystals remain throughout the package. If you question the condition, THROW IT OUT!
  • Don't use if odor is offensive or if the freezer temperature has exceeded 45 degrees F for 2 hours or longer, THROW IT OUT!
Use common sense: If any foods have an offensive or questionable odor, DO NOT feed them to your fish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!