Fruit flies not pupating.

Frogs4ever

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I started raising cultures from Hydei I bought at the beginning of winter. They were producing well until around Christmas. I have had many larvae in several different cups since then, but they refuse to change into flies!

I've been trying to keep them warm and moist (been having to mist them frequently, winters are very dry and cold here), but still no flies. I even have some in a heated plastic tub that won't pupate.

I can't afford to buy more right now (was planning on getting more stuff in the Spring though.) Winter shipping is expensive!

I've been having to feed my small frogs little mealworms in the meantime. Not sure if they're nutritious enough even gutt loaded.

I don't know what's going on or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D. hydei have a longer life cycle than D. melanogastor. They are more apt to fail because the larvae doesn't "work" the medium fast enough. I like to mix D. hydei and flightless D. melanogastor in the same culture. The melanogastor get the medium "working" quick. You will have a hatch of melanogastor followed by a hatch of hydei. You don't have to worry about cross breeding and making fliers because they are different species. I still like using Carolina formula 4 - 24 medium. I have much more success with that than some of the cheaper medium.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back