Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frustrating

rust

Reaction score
I've never looked for them in VA, but I've seen quite a few in NC. Most have been in mature glade enviroments.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Hey Chip,
I am going to Pulaski on Saturday for a family reunion and was planning on taking half the day to do some herping, since I don't make it to that part of the state to often. This species is one of my "lifers" that I will be planning on looking for, so lord willing I happen to find one I will let you know. But I am not holding my breath, I haven't ever found one there either (6 years spent looking:().

Later,
Justin

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Go out ~2-3 hours after sunset with a good flashlight. Check medium sized rock outcrops along gravel road cuts through wooded rocky slopes covered in mature forest. >2000 ft elevation is good too. Just saw about a dozen in less than an hour in NC on Monday, and saw many more than that in NC and VA last month. A rainy night helps, but my recent searches have been productive even in dry weather.

Good luck, they are spectacular animals.
-Tim

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's sure rainy up here today. I bet there are salamanders everywhere! And I'm stuck in the office :(

freves

Reaction score
According to Joseph Mitchell's book on VA herps yonahlossee's are only found in limited areas of Pulaski County, and judging by the map much of this is most likely on private landl. Justin, it's ironic that you are coming here Saturday because I am going to Roanoke that day. I have to go to <cough, cough> Chucky Cheese for a kid's birthday party. Kaysie, it has been very dry around here. Taherman, thanks for the tip.
Chip

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Taherman,

Thanks for that little bit of info, there is about a 2 acre stretch up there that sounds just perfect.

Chip,

Fortunately the area I will be herping is all private land so maybe there is hope after all, especially after the tips taherman gave us. I will be sure to take lots of pictures and try to put up a thread about it after we get back. And about that Chucky Cheese thing, I have 2 words for you; GOOD LUCK:rolleyes:

Oh and Kaysie you could always send some of that rain my way, it sure would help.;)

Later,
Justin

:EDIT: Alright Chip, I wasn't going to do it but it's been aggravating me, so I must ask. Do you know any of the Poe's or Kenny's?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny. Roanoke's only 3 hours away...

Too bad we don't have yonahlossee up here. They're so gorgeous. Much prettier than nettingi any day.

freves

Reaction score
:EDIT: Alright Chip, I wasn't going to do it but it's been aggravating me, so I must ask. Do you know any of the Poe's or Kenny's?[/QUOTE]

I know a few. I used to work with a Poe (Calvin) and I know a few Kenny's from school. Send me a PM when you have time and give me some names, maybe I'll recognize some. Also, you should have some good salamander hunting with the rain today (thanks Kaysie).
Chip

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
And FYI yonahlossee are definitely on public land in VA, however they do receive special protection from collection on the site that I saw them.

And I messed up the states, I have seen them in TN, NC, and VA in the past month :D
-Tim

freves

Reaction score
Do you know if you were you in Pulaski County? Again judging from the range maps they seem to have a more extensive range in counties south of here. I would love to add them to my observation list.********************************************************************************************************************* Chip

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
No, they were in Grayson Co. I believe. You'll probably have better luck the farther south you go. From what I've seen they are confined to the Blue Ridge, so even within those counties your search should be constrained dramatically. Pulaski is the northern limit of their range, so it follows that you might have a tough time finding them there. You might be better off learning to spot their habitat farther south and then trying up north.

Check out the Mitchell and Reay Atlas for an accurate distribution in VA (which you may have already done):
http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/tobey_atlas.htm

Good luck,
Tim

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Well do to unforeseen circumstances (my grandma Poe dieing) I was only able to herp for about an hour and a half. So needless to say I didn't find any Yonahlossee but I did find 2 species of Desmognathus, Eurycea cirrigera, Plethedon glutinosus, Psuedotriton ruber, Notophthalmus viridescens, and Plethedon cinereus. All total I found 47 salamanders. I do have pictures so I will put up a post in the field herping section probably towards the middle of the week after everything is said and done with my grandma. Sorry I couldn't help you out this time Chip.

Later,
Justin

freves

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Grandmother Justin. No worries about the yonahlossee's, I'll hopefully spot one sooner or later.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1