Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Full testing kit

mitchell101

Reaction score
I am going to buy a full testing kit for my axolotls.
Just clarifying what i need and how much it should cost.
I know i need Nitrate, Nitrate, PH, Chlorine and Chloramine and Ammonia any others?
What brand should i get and is it better to get a whole kit or buy separately.
It doesn't really matter how much it costs i just want the best one for my axies.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know i need Nitrate, Nitrate, PH, Chlorine and Chloramine and Ammonia any others?
What brand should i get and is it better to get a whole kit or buy separately.

Buying them together in a set is often cheaper than buying individually.

API 'Freshwater Master Test Kit' can be purchased for around $40-60 depending where you go. This master kit has all the important test tube kits: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and high pH.

Paying for each kit separately you would be looking anywhere from $20-35 for each one. The master test kit will save you quite a bit of money.

The Ammonia test is the priority.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mitchell,

Firstly you want to get a test kit that uses colorimetric solution rather than dipsticks. The solution type test kit is much more accurate.

You can acquire the kit as a set that would include most importantly tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Some kits will include test for pH. These 4 are really all you need. However if you grow live plants, you might want to have a test for phosphates.

Presence of chlorines, chloramines, heavy metals are neutralised whenever you use a good water ager or dechlorinator. I would advise you invest in a good quality product rather than purchase a test kit to test for them. I use "Prime" which i find does a good job.

Cheers

mitchell101

Reaction score
I found this site http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/index1.html.
Do i get just the
API Freshwater Master Test Kit or should i get also a phosphate, GH and GK test kits.
I have only one plant so i don't think phosphate will be needed but I'm not sure.
Thanks

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mitchell,

Just the freshwater test kit will do. Im so envious, that is one good looking master test kit by the way!

Regards.

geosheets

Reaction score
Perhaps the rest of the world does not use copper like we do in the US. I like to test my source water for copper also. I am always soldering something on my copper plumbing and since I always have inverts of some sort, I'm fearful of copper getting into my source water. Usually not an issue unless there is some new plumbing but I test for it anyways.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1